Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Roma kids
usisarah
This is an article I found.
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11027288]BBC News - Q&A: France Roma expulsions[/url]
I'm not really sure I understand how things work in the EU as far as members of other countries moving to another EU nation. This article touches on it, but I really don't get it.
The article makes it seem like France is getting rid of illegal camps, not expulsing (is that even a word?) all of the Romas. FWIW I'm not saying I think what the French govt is doing with the Roma population is ok (I actually don't think I know enough about the situation to feel one way or the other), I'm just pointing out that it doesn't sound like they're rounding up EVERY Roma in the country and sending them out. It sounds similar to what's done sometimes in the US when a city/state/federal govt agency will raid an area and round up illegal immigrants and deport them. I don't know that I buy that either situation is done purely to stop some illegal behavior though...I think racism is a huge factor.
I see what you mean. The article says there are actually about 400,000 Roma in France but they are talking about the 12,000 from Romania/Bulgaria who have work restrictions (from 2014, those restrictions will be lifted after those 2 countries have been in the EU for 7 years). I agree with Sarah though that racism is quite likely a huge factor and it is definitely an overreaction. Even some members of Sarkozy's own party disagree with him.