Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think that it will partly depend on your relationship with your caseworker. I have one long term foster child and take emergency placements (nights and weekends when the DCF office is closed). I have taken a few really tough placements and try to say yes to emergency placements whenever I can (there aren't very many of us), but sometimes I just can't. If they called tonight, I would say no - my son has been puking since last night and I need whatever rest I can get tonight.
I once took a kid for one night. He was awful. Temper tantrums about everything (my cat moved - tantrum, the toilet flushed too loud - tantrum). The next day they asked me to take him for just one more night. I said no way - I just couldn't take it.
I turned down the brother of the baby girl we have now. I had pneumonia at the time and was too tired to even consider taking another child.
If it was going to be a long term placement, I would be pickier. Our current foster daughter is one of six siblings. When they were taken into foster care I was offered my pick of the six. So I guess I turned down five kids in the same day, but said yes to the one who I thought would be the best match for us. Since I have now had her for more than 18 months, I suppose being picky turned out pretty well.
I wouldn't worry about turning down a child who you think is a bad match. Just make sure that you communicate with your social worker about your choices, what you are looking for. Ask if s/he thinks you are being too picky.
As much as we might want to - we can't take them all. Take the ones you can serve well.
Good luck on your journey.