Advertisements
Advertisements
Go to the domestic adoption websites. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth, not a state, but it is considered part of the United States. Puerto Rican children are American citizens, and Puerto Ricans can travel back and forth freely between the island and the mainland.
Sharon
Advertisements
We had looked into adopting from there, b/c DH is from the island. It is very unlikely to be able to adopt from PR while living in the states. If you are willing to take older children, or children with special needs, then it is possible, but still not very common.
Even if you live in PR, you must be a resident for at least 6 months before you can be considered for adoption. They do have some small orphanages on the island, I believe mostly run by nuns and the Catholic church.
We are hoping to move there this summer and would like to start the adoption process again down there.
[URL="http://adoptando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=quien"]APPA-Asociacin Puertorriquea de Padres Adoptivos [/URL]here is a website with more info, if you can read Spanish. They have some people there who speak English as well. The site is not very active and looks like no one has posted in awhile, but you can get a lot of info from there.
You might also want to consider adopting privately or through foster care within the US. I am pretty certain that there would be children of Puerto Rican heritage being placed for adoption, assuming that that is what you are seeking. Seeking in certain geographic areas would raise your chances of a match with a child whose family came from Puerto Rico. For instance, I live in a medium sized city, but we have a pretty high population of residents who have come from Puerto Rico, or their parents did.
Good luck in your search for information.