Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
It's a hard one
It sounds like DFS is making good progress. I don't think it's possible to know what will actually happen if they are reunited...but I would honestly expect problems. It's a big adjustment, which often sets off issues..plus he will no longer be getting quite as much attention as he does now. The family dynamic will change....that will definitely have an affect on him, for better or worse. The same for her, probably on a bigger scale because the change is a lot bigger for her
I also think it's important to consider how long they actually lived together in their bio-family. Often siblings can do very well (although not always) when they are with a sibling they never lived with except in their adoptive family. I adopted GG's younger sibling when he was a young toddler. She had been with me a couple of years and had made great progress. However, she was not placed with any of her siblings she came into care with. It was felt they would not be able to heal living together. A large part of that is that they both have the same truama, they had a way of relating to each other when they lived together last time...they may well try to continue that. For instance, a child who was very parentified to a younger sib, might keep that going, and a lot more to that sib in particular than to any other child. Whereas if you introduce a new sibling they have never lived with, they are building the relationship from scratch, and therefore can be taught to build it in a healthy way (hopefully!)
So I would consider how they related to each other in the past, and if you do take his younger sib, prepare for them to do that again. I made my decision mostly with my head...but a part with my gut and heart. So listen to them as well as thinking very carefully about the other issues
:)