Advertisements
Advertisements
If anyone wants to adopt waiting special needs children. DO NOT sign up with DCS in Kingsport or Tri-cities TN area try another agency.
If you do not choose to be a foster parent they will do whatever they can not to approve you. Even if they are special needs and available for adoption.
The Case Managers only want foster parents that will except children they want to give you and you can wait and see if these children will be available for adoption.
And those adoption websites of waiting children that are given in Path class are useless if you are trying to adopt and get a homestudy done thru DCS.
Definantly do not try to get a homestudy an adopt a waiting child out of state. They will do whatever they can to make sure you do not get a homestudy thru them if you tell them you want to adopt.
There are other Foster care programs in Kingsport, TN and they are very kind and also like to see waiting special needs children get adopted.
So please don't waste lots of time like I did. If you want to adopt special needs available children. Even if you have to foster for six months they want you to only take children that are in foster care in TN and not available for adopting.
Trying to save everyone else lots of time and disappointment.
In NY, I believe you also have to foster before adopting. Homes are found for kids before TPR is done. I got my last 2 because former foster mom didn't want to foster or adopt.
Advertisements
pammi716
I'm not sure what you're dealing with, but here in order to adopt, you have to have a foster license. You don't have to foster, but if a child is placed with you, you must be licensed. The child must be in your home for 6 months or more before you can finalize an adoption. Our county will place children in adoptive homes that are legal risk. What that means, is the county is filing TPR and before a judge will approve that, the child must be in an adoptive placement. They will not terminate a parental right unless the child is in an adoptive home. They do not want, what they call "legal orphans." Once I asked if they do straight adoptions. I was told it was very rare. That they did only 2 straight adoptions in the last 5 years. That was because the adoptive home was unable to adopt. I also asked about the photo listings. They also discouraged that, stating that the children listed have alot of issues. There are some people that have adopted from the photo listing, maybe they can help you with that and answer questions for you.
I have adopted in the past and I had to be a foster parent even though my children were available for adoption because of the 6 month waiting period. So I did foster them for 6 months. Which is what I had hoped to do for children that were also waiting. That's why I didn't understand what the difference was if a child is available for adoption with special needs when you still have to wait six months before you can file for adoption. Which would still be fostering the child for 6months.
millie58
In NY, I believe you also have to foster before adopting. Homes are found for kids before TPR is done. I got my last 2 because former foster mom didn't want to foster or adopt.
That's why its so confusing what the issue is here. You can't adopt a child that's specal needs and waiting for six months. So they still have to be under foster care for six months. I just feel they wanted to show how much power they had if you didn't do what they wanted. Some places enjoy having power over people. Instead of focusing on homes for all children. Kids that are waiting deserve to have a loving home too.
pammi716
I'm not sure what you're dealing with, but here in order to adopt, you have to have a foster license. You don't have to foster, but if a child is placed with you, you must be licensed. The child must be in your home for 6 months or more before you can finalize an adoption. Our county will place children in adoptive homes that are legal risk. What that means, is the county is filing TPR and before a judge will approve that, the child must be in an adoptive placement. They will not terminate a parental right unless the child is in an adoptive home. They do not want, what they call "legal orphans." Once I asked if they do straight adoptions. I was told it was very rare. That they did only 2 straight adoptions in the last 5 years. That was because the adoptive home was unable to adopt. I also asked about the photo listings. They also discouraged that, stating that the children listed have alot of issues. There are some people that have adopted from the photo listing, maybe they can help you with that and answer questions for you.
I forgot to say Thanks so much for responding to my Post. I have been disappointed in how things turned out. I guess it could be a serious reason for the CW to look for families out of the state. I never really thought of what might be the reason they are on the listing.
I believe the 6 months is Federal law. The child must reside with the adoptive family for 6 months before an adoption can be finalized.
Advertisements
We are directly through our county, and I know that if new families come to them and are only interested in adoption, our county refers them to other private agencies. But, our county is very straight forward about the fact that they want foster parents -- people who are willing to support RU with birthparents, and if you would like to adopt if that option becomes available, that is fine, too.
You will probably end up having a much better experience going through a private agency, anyway. We love our county, but we also love fostering kids and RUing them with bps/other family members.
Good luck!
Hey LoveAdoption!
I just wanted to throw out a scenario. Lets say that you adopted a child who had special needs, let's go asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism). She's six now, and you go straight into adoption.
Within six months, this beautiful little girl begins exhibiting signs of mental illness that were previously assumed behavior issues because of her aspergers. She begins seeing and/or hearing people who are telling her to harm another of your children. She won't tell you because unfortunately, as a child who's been in the system for so long, she's sure you'll give her back. You, because of a finalized adoption, know she's yours forever, end of story. Now, one night, she just can't control the voices anymore and she harms another of your children.
Now, you have an unsafe environment for your other kids, a child who you haven't fully bonded with that you're likely going to want out of your house, and children who are looking for safety and beginning a grudge with the "new" kid. AND, if you do anything in respect to removal of this adopted child, you are charged with neglect, other kids are removed (because, at least here, you aren't allowed to have criminal abuse/neglect charges brought against you while having custody of any other children), and you're hanging out in jail OR you're dealing with a situation of having an adoptive child who's violent, with violent tendancies and yeah...
So, while it is frustrating as all gettout to have to be foster licensed and do the six month wait; it's in your (and the child's) best interest.
A situation, similar to what I wrote about, happened to a foster/adoptive parent in our state. She had her throat slashed by her adoptive son, who had a massive case of RAD. The child, who was 11, had planned on killing his amom and moving out with his adad while he expected that his disabled sister would just die by neglect cause he and the father would leave her. She (amom) was told that she could either deal with the situation or she would be charged with neglect and have to serve prison time, as well as lose custody of her adaughter.
Good luck to you, hope everything goes well with whatever you chose to do in future adoptions!! Just be safe :)
manderzmcg79-
We had a foster to adopt that had "learning disabilities & ADHD" Um nope...in 8 months we found out he has borderline personality, OCD, a severe anxiety disorder & rage issues.
:woohoo:
jmd5294
We are directly through our county, and I know that if new families come to them and are only interested in adoption, our county refers them to other private agencies. But, our county is very straight forward about the fact that they want foster parents -- people who are willing to support RU with birthparents, and if you would like to adopt if that option becomes available, that is fine, too.
You will probably end up having a much better experience going through a private agency, anyway. We love our county, but we also love fostering kids and RUing them with bps/other family members.
Good luck!
It wasn't very clear in my class. Thats why we were given adoption sites to adopt special needs children.
Advertisements
manderzmcg79
Hey LoveAdoption!
I just wanted to throw out a scenario. Lets say that you adopted a child who had special needs, let's go asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism). She's six now, and you go straight into adoption.
Within six months, this beautiful little girl begins exhibiting signs of mental illness that were previously assumed behavior issues because of her aspergers. She begins seeing and/or hearing people who are telling her to harm another of your children. She won't tell you because unfortunately, as a child who's been in the system for so long, she's sure you'll give her back. You, because of a finalized adoption, know she's yours forever, end of story. Now, one night, she just can't control the voices anymore and she harms another of your children.
Now, you have an unsafe environment for your other kids, a child who you haven't fully bonded with that you're likely going to want out of your house, and children who are looking for safety and beginning a grudge with the "new" kid. AND, if you do anything in respect to removal of this adopted child, you are charged with neglect, other kids are removed (because, at least here, you aren't allowed to have criminal abuse/neglect charges brought against you while having custody of any other children), and you're hanging out in jail OR you're dealing with a situation of having an adoptive child who's violent, with violent tendancies and yeah...
So, while it is frustrating as all gettout to have to be foster licensed and do the six month wait; it's in your (and the child's) best interest.
A situation, similar to what I wrote about, happened to a foster/adoptive parent in our state. She had her throat slashed by her adoptive son, who had a massive case of RAD. The child, who was 11, had planned on killing his amom and moving out with his adad while he expected that his disabled sister would just die by neglect cause he and the father would leave her. She (amom) was told that she could either deal with the situation or she would be charged with neglect and have to serve prison time, as well as lose custody of her adaughter.
Good luck to you, hope everything goes well with whatever you chose to do in future adoptions!! Just be safe :)
I don't think most are getting my point. I have no problem with being a foster parent for six month or how ever much longer that's needed. When I know that it will be to finalize and adoption. I mention before that I was a foster parent to waiting children for six months I never had any problem with the agency because they were very happy to have children who were waiting to be adopted they didn't say ever you can only take children in foster care for reuniting with their family.
Are Adopting families not as good as Foster families because they want to adopt the waiting children those that are not "RUed" I think Familes that adopt are just as important as Foster families because as the sites show not all children are "RUed" And even if the "County" prefers foster families I'm sure those children that are left waiting appreciate finding a loving home.
Thanks for telling me that story I do understand what you are saying. I've also been reading how quickly the visits are with the children when they are out of state. I have been speaking with a wonderful agency and they told me recently about children that are legal risk because they have not identified adoptive home. I am considering these children. I do feel like the children out of state would fit my family but I want to get to know more about these children. So I'm praying for the right decision. Again thanks for giving me a much clearer picture.
I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. It is only because I googled "DCS Kingsport, TN" for the phone number.
I won't go into details with my experiences with that particular system, but I will say this. I also reside in east TN, and every agency (county DCS as well as private foster agencies) were very clear up front that in TN, you can't just foster to adopt. You must be willing to endure the revolving door of children who will RU and then if and when a child placed in your home is TPRed, you will have the option to adopt that child. This is why we are not going through any of these agencies.
We are going through a private adoption agency out of Elizabethton (are we supposed to state actual agency names on here?) It is a small agency, but we are quite pleased so far. We have finished our process through that agency and are just waiting now waiting on the actual homestudy document, but it should be done very soon. :)
We have had to pay $0 up front. The fees are deferred until the adoption details are worked out. He said that most of the time they are paid by the state from which the child comes. The only catch is that the AW will tell you up front that he really can't help you adopt from TN but will work with you on out of state cases. This is a non-profit agency that also offers birth parent services and domestic infant adoptions (different story on fees) as well as some kind of surrogate grandparent services.
PM me if you want details.
Advertisements
_ladybug_
I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. It is only because I googled "DCS Kingsport, TN" for the phone number.
I won't go into details with my experiences with that particular system, but I will say this. I also reside in east TN, and every agency (county DCS as well as private foster agencies) were very clear up front that in TN, you can't just foster to adopt. You must be willing to endure the revolving door of children who will RU and then if and when a child placed in your home is TPRed, you will have the option to adopt that child. This is why we are not going through any of these agencies.
We are going through a private adoption agency out of Elizabethton (are we supposed to state actual agency names on here?) It is a small agency, but we are quite pleased so far. We have finished our process through that agency and are just waiting now waiting on the actual homestudy document, but it should be done very soon. :)
We have had to pay $0 up front. The fees are deferred until the adoption details are worked out. He said that most of the time they are paid by the state from which the child comes. The only catch is that the AW will tell you up front that he really can't help you adopt from TN but will work with you on out of state cases. This is a non-profit agency that also offers birth parent services and domestic infant adoptions (different story on fees) as well as some kind of surrogate grandparent services.
PM me if you want details.
Love Adopting and Lady Bug,
I am just now starting the whole PATH stuff here in Knox and last week my husband and I were at the Knoxville DCS and only 2 other couples where there. The instructor asked the class why everyone was there and so the other two couples said to "Foster"...... We said to adopt. Now my question is you are we doing the wrong thing since the county/state DCS frowns on just adopting?
I do know the instructor did say that "TN is in desperate need of foster parents"
So would it be smarter to just drop with what we are doing with the state and maybe switch over to a private agency?
We did find a child in Ohio and the case worker in Knox was not that friendly when we gave her that info. On the other hand the OH DCS was extremely friendly with the information.
cmathis
Love Adopting and Lady Bug,
I am just now starting the whole PATH stuff here in Knox and last week my husband and I were at the Knoxville DCS and only 2 other couples where there. The instructor asked the class why everyone was there and so the other two couples said to "Foster"...... We said to adopt. Now my question is you are we doing the wrong thing since the county/state DCS frowns on just adopting?
I do know the instructor did say that "TN is in desperate need of foster parents"
So would it be smarter to just drop with what we are doing with the state and maybe switch over to a private agency?
We did find a child in Ohio and the case worker in Knox was not that friendly when we gave her that info. On the other hand the OH DCS was extremely friendly with the information.
Hi cmathis:) Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I would have told you probably to go with another agency then to waste your time. And please do not mention adoption to them again. They will do everything possible so that you can't adopt mainly deny your homestudy. If you continue try really hard to get Adoption put on your homestudy so that when they complete it you can then get your preferences. Because they will get an attitude with you for not wanting to "only" be a foster parent and specially talking about a adopting a child out of state. I wish that I had thought of it before to look thru this site because there are other posts on How DCS in TN treats those that want to adopt there are posts all the way back to 2000. So aparently nothing has changed. Try not to waste your time when you could have a new addition in your family much sooner then getting a run around because you want to Bless A child with a family. Best Wishes