Advertisements
Advertisements
_ladybug_
I can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. It is only because I googled "DCS Kingsport, TN" for the phone number.
I won't go into details with my experiences with that particular system, but I will say this. I also reside in east TN, and every agency (county DCS as well as private foster agencies) were very clear up front that in TN, you can't just foster to adopt. You must be willing to endure the revolving door of children who will RU and then if and when a child placed in your home is TPRed, you will have the option to adopt that child. This is why we are not going through any of these agencies.
We are going through a private adoption agency out of Elizabethton (are we supposed to state actual agency names on here?) It is a small agency, but we are quite pleased so far. We have finished our process through that agency and are just waiting now waiting on the actual homestudy document, but it should be done very soon. :)
We have had to pay $0 up front. The fees are deferred until the adoption details are worked out. He said that most of the time they are paid by the state from which the child comes. The only catch is that the AW will tell you up front that he really can't help you adopt from TN but will work with you on out of state cases. This is a non-profit agency that also offers birth parent services and domestic infant adoptions (different story on fees) as well as some kind of surrogate grandparent services.
PM me if you want details.
Love Adopting and Lady Bug,
I am just now starting the whole PATH stuff here in Knox and last week my husband and I were at the Knoxville DCS and only 2 other couples where there. The instructor asked the class why everyone was there and so the other two couples said to "Foster"...... We said to adopt. Now my question is you are we doing the wrong thing since the county/state DCS frowns on just adopting?
I do know the instructor did say that "TN is in desperate need of foster parents"
So would it be smarter to just drop with what we are doing with the state and maybe switch over to a private agency?
We did find a child in Ohio and the case worker in Knox was not that friendly when we gave her that info. On the other hand the OH DCS was extremely friendly with the information.
Advertisements
cmathis
Love Adopting and Lady Bug,
I am just now starting the whole PATH stuff here in Knox and last week my husband and I were at the Knoxville DCS and only 2 other couples where there. The instructor asked the class why everyone was there and so the other two couples said to "Foster"...... We said to adopt. Now my question is you are we doing the wrong thing since the county/state DCS frowns on just adopting?
I do know the instructor did say that "TN is in desperate need of foster parents"
So would it be smarter to just drop with what we are doing with the state and maybe switch over to a private agency?
We did find a child in Ohio and the case worker in Knox was not that friendly when we gave her that info. On the other hand the OH DCS was extremely friendly with the information.
Hi cmathis:) Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I would have told you probably to go with another agency then to waste your time. And please do not mention adoption to them again. They will do everything possible so that you can't adopt mainly deny your homestudy. If you continue try really hard to get Adoption put on your homestudy so that when they complete it you can then get your preferences. Because they will get an attitude with you for not wanting to "only" be a foster parent and specially talking about a adopting a child out of state. I wish that I had thought of it before to look thru this site because there are other posts on How DCS in TN treats those that want to adopt there are posts all the way back to 2000. So aparently nothing has changed. Try not to waste your time when you could have a new addition in your family much sooner then getting a run around because you want to Bless A child with a family. Best Wishes