Advertisements
Advertisements
manderzmcg79
Hey LoveAdoption!
I just wanted to throw out a scenario. Lets say that you adopted a child who had special needs, let's go asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism). She's six now, and you go straight into adoption.
Within six months, this beautiful little girl begins exhibiting signs of mental illness that were previously assumed behavior issues because of her aspergers. She begins seeing and/or hearing people who are telling her to harm another of your children. She won't tell you because unfortunately, as a child who's been in the system for so long, she's sure you'll give her back. You, because of a finalized adoption, know she's yours forever, end of story. Now, one night, she just can't control the voices anymore and she harms another of your children.
Now, you have an unsafe environment for your other kids, a child who you haven't fully bonded with that you're likely going to want out of your house, and children who are looking for safety and beginning a grudge with the "new" kid. AND, if you do anything in respect to removal of this adopted child, you are charged with neglect, other kids are removed (because, at least here, you aren't allowed to have criminal abuse/neglect charges brought against you while having custody of any other children), and you're hanging out in jail OR you're dealing with a situation of having an adoptive child who's violent, with violent tendancies and yeah...
So, while it is frustrating as all gettout to have to be foster licensed and do the six month wait; it's in your (and the child's) best interest.
A situation, similar to what I wrote about, happened to a foster/adoptive parent in our state. She had her throat slashed by her adoptive son, who had a massive case of RAD. The child, who was 11, had planned on killing his amom and moving out with his adad while he expected that his disabled sister would just die by neglect cause he and the father would leave her. She (amom) was told that she could either deal with the situation or she would be charged with neglect and have to serve prison time, as well as lose custody of her adaughter.
Good luck to you, hope everything goes well with whatever you chose to do in future adoptions!! Just be safe :)
I don't think most are getting my point. I have no problem with being a foster parent for six month or how ever much longer that's needed. When I know that it will be to finalize and adoption. I mention before that I was a foster parent to waiting children for six months I never had any problem with the agency because they were very happy to have children who were waiting to be adopted they didn't say ever you can only take children in foster care for reuniting with their family.