Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm too tired to type it all out, but a little background -- J's had SEVERE nasal congestion for weeks now. Been to the doctor 3x. Diagnosed upper respiratory inf, then sinusitis, then back to URI. Three different antibiotics, musinex, and dimatap for overnight. (J's 10 months old.) I also have every thing under the sun going non-medicinally -- humidifier, air purifier, bed mattress elevated, vicks vapor thing, saline, snot sucker, etc., etc. It continues, and in fact is getting worse (he just started daycare, I should add - probably picking up bugs left and right, I would imagine.)
He went through a period about two weeks ago of not sleeping over night much AT ALL because of this congestion, and I nearly lost my mind. I'm a single mom, also with no family in state, and I was only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night - my anxiety and so on was becoming absolutely nightmarish on that lack of sleep for weeks.
It then got better - back to his normal 8-9 hours, and my normal 6-7 hours. Now, last night, it started again -- he woke up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep for hours. I only got 2 hours sleep all night. At one point I did the saline, the snot sucker, redosed his medication, and put him in his swing. He fell asleep in there pretty quickly (after crying for an hour and a half straight before that.) Here's my question -- what about him sleeping in the swing all night? It just doesn't seem quite right to me, like it can't be comfortable, or an "acceptable" way to sleep all night, but if it actually makes him sleep, then I would imagine it's what's best, right?
Also, I don't want to get him in the habit of not being able to sleep unless he's in the swing, though. That could lead to a whole new problem.
And, another issue -- should I start him in his bed, then if he can't sleep, switch him to the swing? But if I do that, then won't he get the idea that when he goes to bed, if he cries enough, he gets to go into the swing? (Right now I know without a doubt that he's waking up and staying awake because of his nasal congestion, not because he just wants to play or wants me to come to him -- I'm talking about when that's past -- creating a bad habit of him crying because he knows I'll get him out of bed or put him in the swing, and that will lead to lack of sleep for me that way...)
Help!?
I'd say, it it works, then continue to do so. As long as he is strapped in so that there are no risks involved, go for it.
A friend of mine had to allow her daughter to sleep in the swing (as per ped's orders) because she had severe acid reflux. The poor kiddo was in pain every single night.
Do what you have to do until he is better.
Hope your little man is well soon.
Advertisements
I don't want to derail the thread or anything (thanks reetoreet, oakshannon, and mumofone), but I started this thread after getting him to sleep in the swing around 5:30 this morning. I figured he'd sleep for quite a few hours, since he only had 4 hours of his usual 9 hours, but he ended up only sleeping in it about 2 1/2 hours, then woke up. So I don't know if he'll sleep in it all night anyway. Maybe he'll only sleep in it a few hours. But maybe he'd sleep longer if he started in the swing instead of the bed? Don't know if I should start him in the bed tonight and switch to the swing when he wakes up, or start him in the swing...
One thought -- are you using a regular bulb-style snot sucker, or the nose frida? The nosefrida worked SO MUCH BETTER on M's nose when he had severe congestion. The bulb-style one never actually helped him sleep.
[URL="http://www.nosefrida.com/"]Nosefrida The Snot Sucker[/URL]
This is now one of my major baby shower gifts! :)
Hi Saya - I'm using nosefreda. I've been thinking of going online and seeing if they have an extra strength version! (Only half kidding.) At first he was intriqued by it, and even tried to use it on himself. Now he starts crying as soon as he sees it -- it doesn't hurt, of course, but too many things always in and at his nose the last few weeks...
I would start him in his bed and when he wakes up move him to his carseat or swing. Baby T had this for 2 weeks straight and it was HORRIBLE...we found she did best in the carseat...it kept her sitting up, but she was cozy and I would put her right beside the couch, so I could try to put her pacifier back in when she cried...even though she couldn't really keep it there for long because she was so congested!
When they are sick...I feel all the usual 'rules' are out the window...we do whatever we can to keep them happy and get everyone some sleep!
Advertisements
becky
I would start him in his bed and when he wakes up move him to his carseat or swing. Baby T had this for 2 weeks straight and it was HORRIBLE...we found she did best in the carseat...it kept her sitting up, but she was cozy and I would put her right beside the couch, so I could try to put her pacifier back in when she cried...even though she couldn't really keep it there for long because she was so congested!
When they are sick...I feel all the usual 'rules' are out the window...we do whatever we can to keep them happy and get everyone some sleep!
That's sort of what I was thinking - to start in the bed. I don't think he'll sleep in his car seat, though. He hates sleeping on his back -- I think he's only sleeping in the swing right now because of the vigorous swinging motion (and of course because he's so exhausted that once he can breathe better, he just falls asleep instead of fighting about laying on his back.) I know you weren't saying to put him in his car seat - I'm just thinking out loud... (and trying to stay awake!)
Whatever you have to do for you both to get sleep is what you have to do. Worry about the rest after you get over the snots.
One thought of caution. I have know some of the swings to cause the kids legs to 'fall asleep' not sure what kind of swing you have - but if his feet are dangling - this might be an issue.
My cousin puts a drop or two of peppermint oil on a washcloth and puts that between the child's undershirt and pajamas. This helps to keep the nose open. I have used it with my kids and LOVE it. It reminds me of when we were kids and my mom would put vicks on a sock and wrap it around our throat.....I like the peppermint vs the eucalyptus (plus i can't spell it:)
Momat41,
This is what I used to do.....I'd start L in bed....if she got so congested she couldn't sleep, I'd take her downstairs and put her in the swing and I'd sleep on the sofa next to the swing....sometimes it was the only thing that worked.....
L never had a problem going back to sleep in her bed after being sick.
Sorry about J being sick...it's draining to go a few nights in a row with limited sleep...btdt
FYI...the first year in daycare is the worst (for colds) I found that the only time L was really sick was these past 2 weeks....however she hasn't been sick this year (year 2 winter in daycare) so it will get better! hang in!
Advertisements
1. I know YOU need sleep, but here's one thing to do right before bedtime. Go into your bathroom and turn on the shower as forcefully and hot as you can, then step out, shuting the door. Let the bathroom get good and steamy. Take your child into the bathroom, shut the door, and sit with him on the lid of the toilet. Be careful that your child is NOT near any of the hot water from the shower, because you don't want him to get scalded. Hold your child, read to him, or play with him, and let the steam loosen his congestion. Stay there as long as your child will tolerate, or until you run out of hot water! Then put your child to bed right away.
2. Also, before bedtime, serve your son a warm liquid -- as warm as he will tolerate. Chicken broth is great, and you can put some noodles or rice in, if needed; other soups are OK, too. Decaffeinated tea is fine, and no one will criticise you if you add some sugar. Some kids will drink juice that has been diluted and warmed up, though I think it's yucky. Again, warm liquids help to loosen up mucus. Brush teeth quickly afterwards and pop your son into bed.
3. Stop using decongestants immediately. There is a phenomenon called rebound congestion, in which a person who has overused decongestants, including medicated nasal sprays like Afrin and medications that have decongestants in them, will wind up with the sensitive nasal passages actually getting MORE swollen, instead of less, to the point where steroids may be needed to restore ability to breathe through the nose. Use ONLY non-medicated saline (buffered salt water) nasal sprays, like Ocean, with the nasal aspirator.
4. Some children may find a dose of liquid children's Benadryl helpful in getting rid of the drippiness that goes with congestion, and in falling asleep. The bottle is NOT labeled for infants and toddlers, and does not suggest a dosage for kids under 6, but many doctors feel that it can be used safely in older infants and toddlers. Ask your doctor how much, if any, he/she would recommend. If you can't reach your doctor, you might try as little as 1/4 teaspoon at first, to see how he reacts. Be aware that some children will get hyper, instead of sedated, from Benadryl. Also, some children appear a bit "hung over" the next day, if their dose is a little high for them.
5. If your son is active, and can easily turn over in bed, there is probably no risk in elevating his head on 2 or more pillows for sleep. Use fairly firm ones, not ones that are squishy so that the head sinks in too deeply. You can even use decorative throw pillows from your bed or sofa, as they tend to be firm. Prop up his head and shoulders on them at bedtime, placing him on his back.
6. If your child has green mucus coming out of the nose or from the chest when he coughs, he probably has a bacterial infection. He will definitely need an antibiotic. If given an antibiotic, be sure to give it to your son exactly as directed, and for as many days as directed. If you fail to use the whole course of antibiotics, the infection will return. Also, if the bottle is supposed to be kept refrigerated, do so.
7. Viral infections don't respond to antibiotics. However, they also don't generally lead to such lengthy periods of congestion. The most common exception is RSV, a major problem in infants and young children, which sometimes leads to hospitalization. Some children develop pneumonia and other complications with RSV, which most commonly occurs in the Winter, so your doctor may need to take x-rays, etc.
8. It won't hurt your child if he sleeps better in a swing. It is usually more comfortable for a person to be upright if he/she is congested. As long as the swing is safe -- no risk of it falling over or spilling your son out if he wiggles around -- let him sleep in it. Any sleep is better than none, for him, and certainly for you. Letting him sleep in a car seat securely placed on the floor is also OK, as long as he can't fall. (Never put it on a table or anywhere else where a fall can occur.)
9. If your child wakes in the night, congested, be aware that some parents find it helpful to bundle the baby up in blankets or a one-piece fleece bunting and take him/her outdoors for a little while, even if it is cold out. For some reason, the cool air helps some kids, especially if they are so congested that they feel they cannot breathe.
Sharon
Well, as usual I just had time to skim replies . . .
We used something called a "Danny Sling" for our first foster baby (though his upper body had to be elevated for a different reason). The sling straps around the baby and holds them to the mattress of the crib and then you actually elevate one side of the crib. It was great - we used it for quite a few months. I'm sorry to say though that I'm not sure the best place to get one. We got ours during a hospital visit.
We also let all of our babies sleep in either the swing or a bouncer occasionally at night.
Best of luck. I hope you're both sleeping well again soon!
We have a Nap Nanny. They keep the kiddos elevated and snuggled in kind of like a car seat. My son had a cold a few weeks ago and it was the only way he would sleep through the night.
You do have to use the Nap Nanny properly, have them buckled in to it, place it on the floor, etc. (the older models were recalled) but I like them as an option to keeping the baby's head elevated without having the swinging motion all of the time.
That being said, with my DD's I didn't have a Nap Nanny and did let them sleep in the swing on occassion, or even their car seat.
TwinkleKS
We have a Nap Nanny. They keep the kiddos elevated and snuggled in kind of like a car seat. My son had a cold a few weeks ago and it was the only way he would sleep through the night.
You do have to use the Nap Nanny properly, have them buckled in to it, place it on the floor, etc. (the older models were recalled) but I like them as an option to keeping the baby's head elevated without having the swinging motion all of the time.
That being said, with my DD's I didn't have a Nap Nanny and did let them sleep in the swing on occassion, or even their car seat.
Anyone know if there's anything like this where the baby can sleep on his stomach? J absolutely hates sleeping any way other than his stomach. (He sleeps in the swing only when absolutely exhausted from chronic lack of sleep.) I'm so frustrated with the doctor not being able to clear a baby's nasal congestion, after three doctor's visits! I'm trying to find a good ENT now...
Advertisements
yup, what they said....:love:
when dd was a tiny baby she would only fall asleep while being held and walked around with, then she would only nap while we held her. i LOVED it most of the time, and at night she slept fine in between us.
you need your sleep, he heeds his sleep. he's probably sleeping better in the swing because sitting up he's getting good drainage and it's not backing up in his respiratory track.
i say with babies, do what you need to (as long as it's safe and not neglectful) to get your kid some sleep. a sleep deprived mom is useless. a sleep deprived baby feels like they're being tortured.
trust, us it's the right thing. also, there's a great infant Vicks vaporub (don't know if it's baby-friendly) and if you can't use this, my grandma always used to rub eucalyptus oil on our chests when we were little. great to open the airways.