Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: FASD-RAD dx
akg1229
I get a lot of " but he has the loving type of RAD His attachments issues are he attaches quickly he will be fine". I have no other children, a large reason we were matched with the little... we want no other children right now either. My concern is the FAS issues with comprehension and cause and effect mixed with RAD... especially disinhibited. Also he has other genetic issues going on so I am cautiously excited. If the ICPC goes through I imagine I will be asking for loads of help. Thank you again for being so honest, I will need that from someone :).
"loving type of RAD" "attaches quickly" -- Oh. My. Gawd. I can't believe someone said that to you. Without the FASD (I think), I had a child like that, 3, almost 4 on arrival. Would go up to 5 different adults on the playground in one visit to take food or toys from them. That is *not* attaching -- as you obviously know. The fact that he would be the only child in your home is a very good factor. Gives you the ability to create a therapeutic environment just for him. Your saying "disinhibited" is a good sign; it's accurate vs "loving type RAD".
Help you will need, in my experience: at least 2-3 people who you can call at the end of the night when you wanted to wallpaper him, and have them listen and be compassionate. Good advice would be a bonus. One needs to reset every day to start fresh the next day with RAD, venting helps. You will need a rocking chair or two, I had one in living room and one by child's bed. Greatest chance of success is stay-at-home parent. At least 6 months - 2 years. At least.
May I suggest anything by Daniel Hughes. He and his therapy are the real deal, most sophisticated for RAD/ PTSD / foster / former orphanage children I've seen in the USA. "PLACE" = his acronym for the attitude needed to heal these children at home. (Playfulness, Love, Acceptance, Curiousity, Empathy). Start with: Building the Bonds of Attachment: Awakening Love in Deeply Troubled Children. Find the nearest therapist who's trained in his modality: Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy. [url=http://www.dyadicdevelopmentalpsychotherapy.org/]Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy Institute[/url] Good articles there, too.
Second: Kate Cairns: Attachment, Trauma and Resilience: Therapeutic Caring for Children. From the UK. Fostered many w/ DH. Incredible book. (Good price at Amazon now.) She has charts of things to do to help children. Invaluable.
Read Peter A. Levine to understand the trauma dynamic in both body and mind. Isn't this a gorgeous title: Trauma Through a Child's Eyes: Awakening the Ordinary Miracle of Healing by Peter A. Levine & Maggie Kline.
FASD children can be bright. Many variations on the theme. If you get this child, and he starts to heal, he will experience joy -- a miracle to see. Validation for all your hard work, and there will be more than you can imagine. Worth it.