Advertisements
Advertisements
I had posted a thread about this topic a month or more ago. I was basically wanting to know what the chances would be of me receiving a subsidy. I was given a few different answers, and I know some FP's in Virginia were also wondering about this in terms of the monthly "maintenance fee" and the subsidy.
I just had a meeting with DSS, and learned that after adoption, everyone continues to get the maintenance fee that you got as a FP. The subsidy would be in addition to that.
Just wanted to clear this up for any Virginians who may still have this question!
:)
I just had a meeting with DSS, and learned that after adoption, everyone continues to get the maintenance fee that you got as a FP. The subsidy would be in addition to that.
:)
I'm from VA and we are going through the same thing and that is NOT what I've been told by two different counties going on our 5th foster care adoption, nor does it match up with state regulations.
[url]http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/dfs/ap/intro_page/forms/032-02-0660-00-eng.pdf[/url]
Wish I could get my caseworker to see it that way, we are fighting tooth and nail just to keep her Medicaid as she is still recovering from liver failure. Congrats though on getting a positive response in your case. :banana:
Advertisements
Hmmm... maybe it's by county then? I'm sorry. I did have to apply for her "subsidy" and that's not a definite at this point. But, she made a comment about adding that to the maintenance payment, and I asked what she meant by that, and she told me "Everyone gets the maintenance payment, we're just applying for the subsidy to add to that".
I assumed "everyone" meant the whole state, but maybe it's just by county regulation/opinion??
It sounds like what they are calling the subsidy is the Enhanced Maitenance fee which is determined by the VEMAT. That's something I don't understand, our FD qualified for an enhanced rate based on the VEMAT for foster care, but they say she will get nothing when we adopt her. I can't explain how her needs can be extra-ordinary according to the VEMAT, but not enough to get the standard maintenance for adoption. We're still holding out hope, but the biggest problem is her age, and its just too difficult to say what she may outgrow and what may intensify. Probaby the best we'll be able to get is a Conditional subsidy, since most likely a firm diagnosis won't come until she is a little older.
I don't understand that either... it was the VEMAT that we filled out today... It was my understanding that you didn't fill that out UNTIL adoption time - at least, this is how we did it.
I don't know. I really wish they would include this type of info in the PRIDE training classes. It almost sounds like it's a "whatever they feel like at the time" situation.
I don't understand that either... it was the VEMAT that we filled out today... It was my understanding that you didn't fill that out UNTIL adoption time - at least, this is how we did it.
I don't know. I really wish they would include this type of info in the PRIDE training classes. It almost sounds like it's a "whatever they feel like at the time" situation.
VEMAT for fostering is optional for the county. My city doesn't do it for fostering only for adoption.
We did our VEMAT a month ago. We get the girls basic rate, severe emotional, and mild behavioral. They keep their medicaid until 18. Plus we still get daycare paid for until they are "too old" or don't require it anymore.
Our adoption subsidy is actually more than our foster subsidy.
**Barb... have you contacted any advocates at FACEOFVIRGINIA? They should know this stuff inside and out! ** I just now thought about that as a resource of info for your particular situation.
Advertisements
MrsCCQ
**Barb... have you contacted any advocates at FACEOFVIRGINIA? They should know this stuff inside and out! ** I just now thought about that as a resource of info for your particular situation.
I haven't actually contacted them at this point, however I'm familiar with them (was a member many years ago) and have taken advantage of many of their resources. I think right now my best bet is to just wait it out until it gets to the point that something is about to be made official, depending on how long things take it could change on its own by then, but thanks for the suggestion. What I know that we will do is appeal if we don't get the minimum that she needs, and I think that may be the time to contact them if necessary.
We adopted two boys ages 3 & 4 in 2006. We had fostered them from the time the youngest left the nicu. He was born with cocaine addiction, his brother (13 months at placement) had severe developmental delay. We received enhanced subsidy payments throughout the foster placement. We were told at adoption that they no longer would receive the enhanced payments. At the time, I didn't pursue them... quite frankly, because we didn't need it then. The boys would continue to get standard maintenance checks until age 18 and carry medicaid. The boys had made significant improvements while with us... so money wasn't a consideration. Since that time, the youngest has experienced difficulty with impulse control, likely due to the drug exposure. Our adoption worker had advised us that we could ask for a reconsideration, if things changed in the future.
The costs for his therapy is covered by medical insurance and medicaid... but should/could we ask for reconsideration of enhanced maintenance... the money would be especially helpful since I am now a single mom. I feel bad for considering it since the expenses are covered, but the boys would benefit from the additional income greatly.
We were told if our financial situation changed (for the worse) that we could come back and ask for our dormant subsidy to be re-evaluated. A family's ability to care for the kids is supposed to be a consideration in the subsidy process. That is in my state, so I am not sure it is the same everywhere, but the example they used was if DH lost his job we could come back and ask for the subsidy...so I'd say do it. It never hurts to try.
If your child got VEMAT funding as a foster child, then by what I read of state law, your child should be getting that for adoption as well.
Here's the pertinent quote from the VEMAT Guidance Manual (page 5).
The VEMAT shall be used for children in an adoptive placement when the initial adoption assistance agreement is to be negotiated and enhanced maintenance payments as determined by the VEMAT are currently being made for the child.
According to the opening of the document, "shall" makes it a requirement and not an option.
Here's the link to the manual itself.
[url]http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/dfs/fc/rates/guidance_procedures/guidance_manual.pdf[/url]
Also from my reading, your adoption subsidy would NOT exceed the amount determined by VEMAT and would have to be annually evaluated.
From what I can tell, VEMAT is required if a child is placed in a Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC) home. However, it is optional for a non-TFC home like mine.
Good luck.
Advertisements
The annual re-evaluation rarely happens per my CW though. She said the re-eval would only usually be to see if there is any progress in their physical condition... rarely do they re-evaluation on the emotional and behavioral, because it typically stays the same.
And yes, I would go back and ask for another look at the money. Impulse control is a big thing to parent. You have to have line of sight, shopping is difficult, etc. so you shouldn't have any problems getting a higher rate.