Advertisements
Advertisements
My dh and I are just researching open adoption. I'm curious if anyone has experience adopting as a bilingual/bicultural family? We have a 2yo son who is being raised bilingual German and we go to Germany about two times a year to see family and for our business. Do you think this will be a turn-off to birth parents? We're open to adopting from any race or ethnic background and I'm worried that birth parents will see us as not open to new cultures. Really, we just want our kids to be able to talk to their grandpa and play with their cousins and to sing songs and share stories from my dh's childhood. Anyone have experience with this?
I'm guessing highly dependant on the expectant parents BUT I know of someone who lives in Switzerland (US family) and their son's birth mother picked them because she wanted him to be able to travel since she never could.
Advertisements
We struggle with the same thing. I am originally from South America and speak Spanish but my partner and I also both speak German. If the birthfamily is Hispanic, we would like to teach our child Spanish. If they are not, we might speak German and English.
I've wondered if the multi-language part is a turn-off. But all we can do is to be as honest and open as possible so that the birthparent isn't suprised afterwards. Hopefully someone will find us that likes the fact that their children will be exposed to other cultures.
I'm an adoptee but I was raised in a multiracial bilingual English/German family, it was great I love it, I don't see why that would scare someone off, you will be able to expose your child to so much, travel, possible job opportunities later in life. just my 2 cents, my little ones know a bit of German also which is great, I'm also in the process of teaching them both Spanish (with their Tia's help) a bit of Japanese and Frech (took it for 6 years)
Hi Rachel,
Thank you so much for sharing your story, that is encouraging! I just looked at your blog and loved it.
I take it you were in a closed adoption? I don't mean to be nosey.... Was just touched by your blog posts.
Have a good weekend!
your not being nosy if i linked it lol!
and yes closed adoption, it sucks, but stories like mine is what helps with the reform on adoptions, I really should update my blog huh? lol thanks for reading
Advertisements
my mothers family is from germany i would love this...i wish i could find a family like this for my grand daughter i want her well traveled and experience life outside ...if yall know of any loving people who are willing to take on a girl let me know plz...
Hi bluitexan,
Yes, we are still waiting to meet our match and our forever child. We are not supposed to promote ourselves on this forum, so please private message me if you would like to know more about us! I wish that you guys find the right person/couple to give your little one their forever home.