Advertisements
Advertisements
I've done some brief research on a lot of state subsidy information, but I can't quite seem to find any clear information on Ohio. In some places it says something about a two-hundred-and-something subsidy, and in others it says something about Ohio will match a subsidy from the federal funding. I'm used to seeing information like Texas which say $4xx a month maximum, and the wording for the Ohio information is very hard to decipher for me.
Can anyone with experience enlighten me please? We're hoping to be considered for a child with moderate special needs there, but I'm not sure we could handle her ongoing care cost in this state on our current budget, so I'm trying to piece information together to know what the realistic ballpark might be.
Thank you!
I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but I JUST read the subsidy information for various states including both TX and Ohio as well as some information on how subsidies work.
I did read that if you are, say, from KY adopting a child from Ohio, OH will pay you the OH rate. However, if you are fostering, OH will pay you the KY rate. That might answer part of your question.
There is also a section that outlines the specifics of the subsidies from each state. From what I remember, the max is $240 from OH, with 60% coming from Federal funds and 40% coming from state funds. The max can be exceeded; however, the 60/40 rule would still apply.
Does that help?
Anway, this information is from the North American Council on Adoptable Children. Here is the link:
[url=http://www.nacac.org/]NACAC[/url]
I hope this is helpful!
Advertisements
The following is copied directly from the OHIO subsidy page from the link I posted above.
24. How is the subsidy program operated and funded in Ohio?
Ohio is operated under a state supervised/county administered system. This means that the state office makes policy and indirectly supervises the county agencies. The county agencies work directly with families and make eligibility decisions. The federal participation rate for Ohios Title IV-E maintenance assistance payments is 68.34%.
The first $240 of a monthly IV-E adoption assistance payment is paid entirely with federal and state funds (i.e., federal share = 60%, state share = 40%). Federal reimbursement also covers 60 percent of any monthly amount over $240. However, county agencies are responsible for the non-federal portion of each dollar over $240 per month.
_ladybug_
The following is copied directly from the OHIO subsidy page from the link I posted above.
24. How is the subsidy program operated and funded in Ohio?
Ohio is operated under a state supervised/county administered system. This means that the state office makes policy and indirectly supervises the county agencies. The county agencies work directly with families and make eligibility decisions. The federal participation rate for Ohios Title IV-E maintenance assistance payments is 68.34%.
The first $240 of a monthly IV-E adoption assistance payment is paid entirely with federal and state funds (i.e., federal share = 60%, state share = 40%). Federal reimbursement also covers 60 percent of any monthly amount over $240. However, county agencies are responsible for the non-federal portion of each dollar over $240 per month.
In TN (where I live) and in TX, I believe, the DCS (or whatever it is called there) is operated on a state basis. Ohio is a state that handles this stuff with different regulations, etc. from county to county. That is why it seems a little more difficult to understand.
It just so happens that the top two sib groups on our list of inquiries are from Ohio and Texas, so I was interested in these states' information particularly.
Interstingly enough, I grew up in TX and DH grew up in OH. We both met and reside here in TN.
Thank you for all of that information! I'm from Ohio, and my entire family is still back there, and it seems like the adoption process has fallen apart over the last few years. They even stopped dealing with any kind of photolistings on AdoptOhio.
I was going through the NACAC site and it looks like Ohio has one of the lowest subsidy rates in the country, which is odd because it's one of the most populated states. Kentucky offers more than double the subsidy, and that's supposed to be one of our poorest states.
With the profile we're looking at the child is on a lot of medication and in counseling and therapy seperately, and there's no way we can afford that at Texas pricing with that rate (I assume Ohio health care won't transfer over to Texas since it's a complete headache of a system).
Thank you for helping me understand some of it.