Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I've been in the same situation. My wife and I adopted a fourteen year old girl not too long ago and all the same thoughts went through my head at different times. For the first visits, and even up until she was spending summer vacation with us, I was always very careful of what I did with my daughter, and how I did it. I would never be in her room alone with her, I would never sit on her bed while talking to her, I would never drive in a car alone with her.
Eventually I came to the realization that this girl was soon going to be my daughter, and at some point I was just going to have to over come the fear of false allegations and just step out in faith and trust. My daughter had serious trust issues when she first came to be with us... but she overcame them and started trusting me. The least I could do was to show trust back to her.
Now I treat her the same as I treat my three bio kids. I don't hug her any less than I do them, I don't scrutinize every single action I make around her under the lens of "what does this look like to other people?" I simply decided to move past it.
Remember that you are looking to adopt this girl. Keeping yourself informed is half the battle here. If she has been in the system for a significant amount of time and hasn't made false accusations yet, it's unlikely she's going to. But regardless, you are eventually going to have to just take a chance on her... unless the idea of always have to make sure you are never alone with her for the rest of her childhood appeals to you.