Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi
I'm new to this so I really hope there are some people out there that can relate.
Our daughter has been living with us for almost a year and a half. Her adoption was finalized about 3 months ago. I had a terrible time during most of 2010. I went through PAD. It was awful and I thought I had gotten past it but lately I'm feeling some of those things again.
I resent my daughter and sometimes wish I'd never adopted her. Don't get me wrong she is 5 years old and tries really hard to please. Actually she is a very sweet little girl. But she is also very emotionally needy and sometimes I can't take.
I have to force myself to hug her and kiss her. Sometimes I just want my old life back.
I know she can feel it too. I do what I have to do to take care of her, she is well fed, well dressed, is involved in extracurricular etc, etc... We give her all the experiences that we can without spoiling her. But I sometimes wonder if I'll ever love her as if she was my own child?
I know these are "normal" feelings but I really thought that I was passed all this because lately it's been a lot better. But now I can't handle being around her all the time. I feel like I'm drowning or suffocating.
I know part of it is because I haven't worked since she moved in. I think I need to go back to work. Maybe if I am away from her I will get some perspective. Like absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of thing.
Thanks God for this outlet. I had to vent.
aspenhall
It does get better. Focus on his growth and things you are able to teach him. Celebrate that. Also, schedule time to yourself each day. AND schedule affection with him. Whatever you think, say, do will become how you feel. POLICE YOUR THOUGHTS AND WORDS. 18 mo is a hard age. And he is a boy which you probably don't relate to. Plus there's the whole personality thing. Understand he is unique and you won't feel the same about him as you do the girls. At least, not right now. Give yourself permission to take your time and get to know him. If there are specific bad behaviors taht trigger you, choose the worst one, and work on fixing it. Leave the others for later. He is also getting to know you too. Be consistent. Remember you had 9 months to bond with your girls before you had to parent them, then another 6 mo or so until they developed big personalities. Give yourself a break. He will feel like a stranger, because he IS a stranger. Give it time, and if you have bad depression, consider temporary medication while you transition.
Very solid advice. Yes you need to schedule attachment time.
Advertisements
GrumblersRidge
The books say it takes about twice as long as the child was in an unstable environment (institutions being considered the most unstable) for the child to recover.
especially if affectionate moments aren't developing. Remember to play one on one games where you make eye contact. Lots of peek a boo, even with a 2 year old. If the child doesn't want to be physically close with you, I have read that it is reasonable to use sweets to get the child to snuggle with you. With the worst cases of attachment disorder, they hold the child close and slowly feed them small candies or raisins. Basically, part of what bonds babies to mothers is the sweet milk. It is biologically programmed into babies to bond on that basis. It is also a fact that a sweet tooth is a much lesser evil than attachment disorder. It is akin to AA meetings overtly trying to addict members to chocolate. Sounds extreme but the affects of untreated or unprocessed attachment disorder are extreme. With a child coming home at 18 months you can do it. Attachment is 99 percent (at least) successful at that age but they never say how hard those first few years are. Hang in there.
I would say double the time is about right. My eldest was 23 months in foster care and he's almost 7 now. I had the hardest time bonding to him and it probably took about 3 years before we really felt like we were both on the same page. When I think about it I have not had that feeling of non-attachment for a very very long time now.
I did the sweets thing with him too. But I was mom 4 and he did not trust mothers. I had to do a lot to get him to trust me. But because he didn't trust me he didn't love me and I closed off to him at some point. It was easy to get him to bond. It was me that needed the work.
Time is really the best thing you have on your side. Each day it gets a little better.
Every mother needs to have time away to rest and regroup and feel good about herself. When you feel good about you you will have an easier time with the child.
I would definitely schedule time for affection. I read somewhere (maybe on here!?) to do a 10-20-10 plan: 10 minutes of affections like stories or finger play or massage in the morning, 20 in the afternoon, 10 at night. I really don't do that much because my daughter is 21 months and I also have an 8 month old. But I try to have time for JUST HER in the morning for 10 - 15 min.
I have 2 bio children and an adopted daughter, and the first year of her life was a huge struggle for me. Even now I have days where I just don't feel the same about her as I do about my bio kids, even though I love her very very much. It hurts me that I didn't enjoy her as a baby, but I can't go back, so I am trying to go forward. I don't think she has attachment issues (she came to us at 10 days old) but she was a very very fussy baby, and is a high-maintenance toddler! Even her Grammy and my friend that baby-sits one day a week agree that she is high maintenance!
I have found that doing more massage, snuggling, kissing, and touching her in a loving way have helped ME. I realized how much I was caressing the baby, feeling her soft skin, patting her hair, smelling her - all those things you do when you are over the moon for your baby. And it occurred to me that I needed to be that way with my 21-month old too. As weird as it may sound, it has helped me claim her to some degree. Like some other people mentioned, I still sometimes feel I am parenting someone else's child.
My husband doesn't feel that way at all, and even my adoption agency was like "hmm, we've never really had anyone else say that or feel this way" (gee, thanks people).
Also, check out a book called "I Love You Rituals" by Becky A Bailey that has a lot of finger plays and other things that are supposed to be good for bonding. I just got it last week, but I really like it so far. Gives me and my daughter something fun and interactive to do.
Yeah, I just mentioned the issue of using sweets because I know that kid who come home older than 18 months often have serious problems with trust and bonding that have become so ingrained as to be biologically based. Often with kids who come home older, time and affection alone will not be enough but there are techniques like that one that help. We were "lucky" that our children came home at an age when the difficulties were largely solvable with time, patience and affection.
Yes, our older child has a high-maintenance temperament but it appears to be just that, the temperament that she was born with, rather than a reaction to circumstances and trauma. My brother has a bio-kid who is also high-maintenance in somewhat similar ways. Difficult temperaments do "just happen" with adopted kids as well. :)
Advertisements
Miss.M
Brilliantly said.
Thank You. :) :) :)
Sweets DO help! They facilitate attachment and create brain activity. Plus they're very hard to resist to a child. The need for sweets defeats the need to avoid attachment. Milkshakes in baby bottles, etc. Plus it replicates the very real bond of feeding and being fed.
moejuice
Hi,
i'm new to this forum but have become more desperate for help. We adopted a little boy 6 mos ago when he was 18mos old. We have 2 bio girls that are a little older (3yo, 5yo). I've been having a hard time attaching to him... everyone else thinks he is such a cute and sweet boy and I find myself really resenting him and treating him differently than the girls. I feel awful. He is cute and can be sweet but I find myself having a hard time liking him!
Anyway, when I found this thread, I really resonated with what many of you wrote. Just wondering if the attachment has gotten better for any of you and if you have any tips/strategies for growing that attachment?!? I know this thread was posted a while back but hoping to revive it, for selfish reasons! :)
Thanks for reading... I feel like I'm posting dark and secret thoughts that I would otherwise feel ashamed to tell the world, yikes!
Wow you are reading my mind! I feel the EXACT same way! We have a birth child 5 yo and have adopted a 4yo that has been with us for 6 months. These kids are night and day! I think that is my biggest struggle. Birth child is well behaved, easy, loves to learn but adopted child is loud, talks all the time, doesn't listen/pay attention. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle her. She's got SO much to learn that she missed out on. Grammer, manners, basic words, etc. I get tired of repeating every little thing to her because her learning style is different. That then causes me to not like her. I want to bond with her but I struggle with being the perfectionist mom and her not catching on fast enough. I thought at 4 yo it would be easy for her to learn and catch on to the way our family works. And I get the same thing from outside family thinking I'm just a jerk because adopted daughter is just wonderful. I'm thankful to have a very supportive husband who understands and tells me not to worry what other people think. I love all the ideas given in other posts. I will keep working at this.
Keep in mind that while some of it may be adjustment and bonding issues, some of it is also just temperament differences. Temperament is partially genetic within families, so the statistical chance of getting a child with a temperament that is like yours is greater with a bio child.
I ironically am now struggling with the issue that my older adopted daughter, who was sooooo perfect until she was three (she came home at 3 months with no discernable attachment issues), is now kind of a little terror. She is incredibly defiant, does not want to learn anything, is delighted about being mean and aggressive. I end up focusing way too much attention on her because that is the one thing that keeps her on an even keel. Whereas the younger child (the one who used to have all the problems with attachment because he came home at 10 months and was an emotional anxiety-ridden wreck) is now extraordinarily patient and helpful at 2 and a half. He ends up showing up the 4-year-old in all kinds of learning and my one great hope is that she (because she is quite bright) will become jealous and competitive and try to be better than him. Unfortunately, even though I try not to, I can tell that he gets less attention because he is good and causes little trouble and simply doesn't take as much work. I know that isn't good but it is really very difficult to prevent.
WOW I too read the title to this and thought to myself "did I write this one?". I feel you on every single level. We havetwo little girls (5 and 6 years old) we have had them for 2 years. I don't feel like she is attached to us. I beat myself up daily about this. Se does things that drive us NUTS! *hugs*
Advertisements
It took over a year before I started connecting with DD #1 and she was only 9 weeks when we got custody however she was 3 days old when she came in to the family. So we've been around her since birth. As she got older we learned that she had a sensory processing disorder and being born exposed to drugs it really effected her personality and eating issues. Plus she has some of my horrible traits (sassy!) LOL! didn't have to give birth to her and she's still too much like me. But now she's almost 3 and I physically miss her when I'm at work. I take her errand running etc. she's my buddy now. I love her beyond love.
DD #2. Instant love. She was born and after First Mom had a great snuggle she was placed in my arms. She looked up at me and smiled and that was it. I was sold and apparently so was she. She's the best baby and we've been so in love since. Made me sad I didn't have that connection with DD #1.
But DD #1 was hard very very hard and I think DD #2 happened so quickly after #1 that had it been any longer away I probably wouldn't have done it. I felt the same smothered feelings you had and the same overwhelmed need for a break, guilt etc etc etc. Ain't nothing easy about this process, sometimes it's easier than others but it's a lot of work. Wish I had known of this page when I was trying to bond with DD #1 thankfully it just happened eventually perhaps it would have been quicker with this knowledge.
I am so happy to come across people who feel what I feel and can understand me. I have felt like I was invaded and I want my life back for a while.
My husband and I adopted 3 kids last year and they've lived with us for over a year. We don't have any biological children of our own, but lots of nieces and nephews. The honeymoon stage wore off really quickly and now I dread waking up each day.
The biggest issue is the youngest. She is sweet for the most part but when she can't do what she wants or is being corrected or punished, she turns into a sixteen year old with major attitude. We've also had lying issues and sneaking food at night issues. I don't trust her and I can't seem to love her when I dread being around her. On top of that, she was way behind academically and I have been working with her to catch her up, but she plays dumb a lot or just forgets ( I can't tell which).
The older ones are a little different. They are sweet and more independent, which is nice. They have issues as well, but not as big as hers. I have problems attaching to them too, but I have more of a bond with them because I don't feel like I have to be on the look at for what's next with them.
I know part of the issue is the bm because I can't stand her and she is leaving messages all the time. The kids don't want to see or talk to her, but I am still reminded that they are not fully mine when I get her messages.
Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.
How old is the youngest?
Is there any way you can change your phone number and only allow emails? at least for awhile....
I can tell you, my kiddo has had those issues non stop until only recently (10 years). I had to shift my expectations of success....and help her completely change her emotional needs toolbox. Therapy for YOU and HER both (separately) will help.
How old is the youngest?
Is there any way you can change your phone number and only allow emails? at least for awhile....
I can tell you, my kiddo has had those issues non stop until only recently (10 years). I had to shift my expectations of success....and help her completely change her emotional needs toolbox. Therapy for YOU and HER both (separately) will help.
Advertisements
She is 8 years old. In regards to bm, myhusband and I were talking just the other day and he said, "If the kids are done with her, then we should be done with her." In the last week she's text at least once a day and again asked when she can have a visit. I communicated to her about two weeks ago that a visit was not going to happen any time soon because the kids don't want one. Over the last six months I've told her almost weekly that i will let her know when we will have a visit. She just doesn't get it and it annoys me so much. We don't have to let her talk to them, see them, and we don't have to have communication with her. I think we will be cutting it off completely.
Thank you for the encouragement, I just pray it doesn't take another 2 years before we see a change.
She is 8 years old. In regards to bm, myhusband and I were talking just the other day and he said, "If the kids are done with her, then we should be done with her." In the last week she's text at least once a day and again asked when she can have a visit. I communicated to her about two weeks ago that a visit was not going to happen any time soon because the kids don't want one. Over the last six months I've told her almost weekly that i will let her know when we will have a visit. She just doesn't get it and it annoys me so much. We don't have to let her talk to them, see them, and we don't have to have communication with her. I think we will be cutting it off completely.
Thank you for the encouragement, I just pray it doesn't take another 2 years before we see a change.