Advertisements
Advertisements
slackwater
In our area of Maryland, the "easy" placements go to families licensed w/DSS. Agencies are only sent placements in the case of an overflow (which actually happens frequently, since we have so many public homes), or if the kids are deemed "therapeutic." So, I guess what I'm saying is...the "easy" kids, the babies, the younger sibling groups - are likely to stay w/the DSS homes in our area b/c they're easy to place. DSS only reaches out to private agencies with more difficult placements.
In my county, we don't have the option of being licensed w/a private agency. Sometimes, I wish that we had the support that one would provide, and/or the additional stipend that would come commensurate with the needs of our FKs. I plan to fight for more with our adoption stipend negotiations - we shall see how that goes.
Anyway...I know that in Baltimore, private agencies are more common. In our area, DSS is the only way to go - and there are tons of LOs and younger sibling groups.
Thanks for getting right back to me :)
I'm not sure what to do. Maybe it varies by state? We are in PA. We've done respite with this agency many times, and the kids have pretty much all been great. We've had ages 18 months-10 years for respite.
I think it's time I just come out and ask our agency. I feel like I'm being a pain, but this is our life, and we aren't getting any younger. We have a meeting coming up soon,
and I'm going to talk to them about it.
I pray all goes well for you and your adoptions go through soon!