Advertisements
Advertisements
Soo... I had very little belief that the county I live in would be willing to approve an ICPC for me. 7 Years ago I was placed with my nephew and niece. I honestly should have never been allowed to take them in. I was unmedicated with a hx of bipolar and my husband and I had just reunited after a year separation in december ( they were placed march 5 2004). We had the children in our home for 9 months when they were removed due to the fact that I was allowing them to stay the night with my mom and dad every other weekend (which had been approved by the judge) and they felt that I was not following their guidlines. I wasn't happy but I also didn;t fight it as again I was unmedicated and my husband and I were really struggling to keep ourselves together.
There were never any abuse, neglect, dependency charges of ANY KIND. The children were fed and bathed made it to school and appointments. They knew they were loved and the biggest issue was my nephew feeling torn between me and his mother.
Fast forward to now. My husband and I are still together and going strong. We are older, wiser and have more resources. I now have experience with special needs children ( which I did not have before and my niece and nephew were HIGH special needs). We are more financially stable ( I was 22 back then and not much going on career wise). I am medicated and have been rediagnosed as chronic depression. I have been approved as a foster parent and have done respite several times through the foster care system as well as work. The county, however will not recommend me for the adoption of this out of state child. Due to my weight, diabetes type 2 ( which I no longer even require medication for at my current weight) and of course my mh hx.
I know this is a long post I guess I am just confused and wondering if there is anything I can do? I know the decision is ultimately up to the sending state, but departments usually follow recommendations. I talked to the sw doing my ICPC and asked her if I had my current doc write out a note would she take it into consideration or atleast put it into her report and she refused. She only met with me once and over half of that conversation was in reference to seven years ago. She never checked any of our references ( people who KNEW me and I took care of their disabled children) and refused to accept any references from them. sorry for the vent I am just not sure of what I can do. I know we would be a great match for this kiddo, we have skyped with him several times. I know we could provide him the resources and opportunity he would need to grow. Is there anything we can do?
I'm so sorry. Small clarification... sending state cannot send to a receiving state that rejects the icpc. receiving state holds all the cards (I found this out by inadvertantly offending the icpc processor in our receiving state :p )
You can ask for the appeal process. if they say you have no recourse, you can hire an attorney who specializes in adoption.
I would think you WOULD have a recourse to appeal. How can they approve you to foster, but not adopt? Makes no sense.
Good luck!
Advertisements
[QUOTE=wcurry66] Small clarification... sending state cannot send to a receiving state that rejects the icpc. receiving state holds all the cards QUOTE]
see, this is what I believed... but the sw in my county said it was up to the sending state... wierd. I agree though if I can foster there should be no problem with me adopting, but we were not licensed to foster through the county. We were licensed through a private agency.
akg1229
[quote=wcurry66]
see, this is what I believed... but the sw in my county said it was up to the sending state... wierd.
This is because the child is in custody of the sending state and not the receiving state, which to me makes complete sense. They won't send the child to another state if they don't approve anything.
To address what wcurry66 said: "How can they approve you to foster, but not adopt? Makes no sense." They are 2 very seperate things. Fostering is a temporary placement and includes supervision and assistance from an agency under the active jurisdiction of a judicial system. At any time, your license can be revolked and a child removed if you are found unfit.
Adoption requires entrusting the child/ren will be safe and from free and harm with their new legal family with no "big brother" in a permenent placement. Adoptive applicants must demonstrate that they are consistantly reliable and that the child has a slim to zero chance of returning to the government's care. This includes being healthy.
Regretfully, your agency appears to see you as high risk. You have to fight harder for your rights. If yourhealth is under control she is required to take that INTO CONSIDERATION. Have you gone to Adoption Review Comittee (ARC or AARC)? Or did they just tell you your adoption home study is denied? If you have not gone yet to ARC, ask about it immediately. ARC can't complete the review without interviewing you and your husband. If you have already gone to ARC and were still denied, your denial letter will tell you you have the right to appeal in X amount of days of notice and you will be entitled to an appeal trial.
For the record, no sending state (the state with jurisdiction of a child) will send a child to a placement that is not approved by your ICPC people. The receiving state (the one you reside in) is highly UNLIKELY to complete courtesy supervision for a placement they are against, and that puts the child and the sending agency's credibility at a huge risk, especially for a special needs child.
While I understand the differences in definition of the status of adoption vs fostering, the criteria is identical - at least when adopting from foster care in my state
I have been through both processes. anything that would have prevented my icpc would have blocked my foster license. they asked the same questions; the same CW wrote up both reports.
there have been too many high visibility foster kid abuse cases for states to take a chance on a temporary home.
ETA - I see you are a CW in Florida. It may very well be that your state has different criteria for foster vs adopt
I suspect that will change, given the number of high visibility cases you've had down there in recent days
Advertisements
I understand this... but here is the thing a PRIVATE agency approved me to ADOPT... but they do not work out of state. The COUNTY agency refuses to approve me, and this county is known for going around the rules... I'm sorry but I have never even heard of anyone who can help me with the process... and NC has no appeal process.
wcurry66
sorry - i was responding to PP, not you. You're dillemna totally makes sense
oops me too
Would it be possible for you to take temporary residence in the state where "S" is, so that your agency can complete the adoption? Then you could return home with S and the county has no say in the matter. This is similar to what International Adopters do. Talk to your agency and see if they could facilitate your adoption in S's home state?
Advertisements
MamaS
Would it be possible for you to take temporary residence in the state where "S" is, so that your agency can complete the adoption? Then you could return home with S and the county has no say in the matter. This is similar to what International Adopters do. Talk to your agency and see if they could facilitate your adoption in S's home state?
I thought of this... but he is on the other side of the country... which I wouldn't mind so much, but the hubby would. Also, the case worker talked to the county sw and will not return my calls only said there was nothing she could do via email :(
wcurry66
ETA - I see you are a CW in Florida. It may very well be that your state has different criteria for foster vs adopt
Yes, think how long gay parents could FOSTER in Florida but not adopt the kids they'd been fostering! Where's the head-banging smily?
I am sorry you are having a hard time. I am a type 1 diabetic on shots. I did have to have a physical and a note from my dr in which he stated I had good health. The only extras I had to do was lock up all meds and make sure my needles are disposed of safely. Did your dr have any say in this? I am plus sized. I am very mobile but definitely not a stick figure. Maybe you would have better luck with a supervisor or different worker? Maybe ask what can you do? Provide info stating you are in good control of your diabetes? good luck!
Advertisements
I agree. I've only been in FL 3 years (originally from NYC) and it's so backwards down here it's rediculous. I've heard we haveone of the worse child welfare systems in the country, but after dealing with other states via ICPC I'm not impressed with others either.
thank you all for your responses :). I think we decided to take a rest from the world of sw and try another route to becoming parents :). You guys have been so supportive the last two years as I have popped on and offhere Thanks :).