Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: ICPC denied
Soo... I had very little belief that the county I live in would be willing to approve an ICPC for me. 7 Years ago I was placed with my nephew and niece. I honestly should have never been allowed to take them in. I was unmedicated with a hx of bipolar and my husband and I had just reunited after a year separation in december ( they were placed march 5 2004). We had the children in our home for 9 months when they were removed due to the fact that I was allowing them to stay the night with my mom and dad every other weekend (which had been approved by the judge) and they felt that I was not following their guidlines. I wasn't happy but I also didn;t fight it as again I was unmedicated and my husband and I were really struggling to keep ourselves together.
There were never any abuse, neglect, dependency charges of ANY KIND. The children were fed and bathed made it to school and appointments. They knew they were loved and the biggest issue was my nephew feeling torn between me and his mother.
Fast forward to now. My husband and I are still together and going strong. We are older, wiser and have more resources. I now have experience with special needs children ( which I did not have before and my niece and nephew were HIGH special needs). We are more financially stable ( I was 22 back then and not much going on career wise). I am medicated and have been rediagnosed as chronic depression. I have been approved as a foster parent and have done respite several times through the foster care system as well as work. The county, however will not recommend me for the adoption of this out of state child. Due to my weight, diabetes type 2 ( which I no longer even require medication for at my current weight) and of course my mh hx.
I know this is a long post I guess I am just confused and wondering if there is anything I can do? I know the decision is ultimately up to the sending state, but departments usually follow recommendations. I talked to the sw doing my ICPC and asked her if I had my current doc write out a note would she take it into consideration or atleast put it into her report and she refused. She only met with me once and over half of that conversation was in reference to seven years ago. She never checked any of our references ( people who KNEW me and I took care of their disabled children) and refused to accept any references from them. sorry for the vent I am just not sure of what I can do. I know we would be a great match for this kiddo, we have skyped with him several times. I know we could provide him the resources and opportunity he would need to grow. Is there anything we can do?