Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
So, this is the part I hate, talking about money. It just feels so wrong, like I'm more interested in the money than the child, but the fact remains, that our kids have special needs and those needs cost money. I want to advocate so that my child can receive everything she's entitled to so that we can do what's necessary to provide her with a healthy and healing life.
So we were told that her stipend was X amount. It was a very generous stipend, but we assumed that part of the reason was that she has some signifigant emotional issues, and that the other part was because the state receives her SS survivor benefits for her father who passed away. So we were like, "Great!" We got her everything she needed to start life in our home and some things she didn't "need" so much as we felt it was appropriate. New Mattress and Box Spring, New bedding, a bicycle, that sort of thing. We could have gotten used, but I figured that if she had the money we should use it for decent things. We're not talking about a thousand dollar bed set, just nice and new. Considering she was made to sleep on concrete floors in the garage, I just couldn't bring myself to go with used.
Anyway, she's been here 5 weeks and we got the notice of Foster Care Payment and it's HALF of what she was getting. I can get that there would be some adjustment, but half??? So I called her SW and left a message saying, is there anything we can do to contest that? I said that I wasn't mad, just confused. She had told us that the amount that gets set will be the amount of the adoption subsidy, so I am wondering if the state is just trying to save a buck, or what. I had been reporting great behavior, but the honeymoon has recently ended, and I sent an extensive list of behaviors to the SW. These are the same things that the FM was dealing with prior to placement with us.
We do have a formal DX of RAD, and PTSD, and then there are all of the wonderful behaviors that go along with that. For example, I got called a "butt-hole" on Saturday, and while that may be true on occassion, I didn't particularily care to hear it from my 10 year olds mouth.
So, anything I can do, or am I pretty much stuck with what they give us. Obviously we would never send her back because the payment wasn't enough, but that's not something I want them to know, and I just don't want to agree to something and then regret that decission later.