Advertisements
Advertisements
We were ready to buy a bigger house, anyway, about 6 months after we started fostering we put our 2-bedroom "starter" house on the market (we "started" there for 9 years!). So when we started looking, we definitely had it in the back of our minds that there should be room enough not just for our current situation (a shared room for our boys, plus a room for the foster babies), but to expand for future--if our boys each have their own room, is there still room for more kids? We tried to get the most house for our money (doesn't everyone?).
We would not have bought a house just to be foster parents. . .that feels a little bit like "running a foster home" to me, with sort of weird, unpleasant connotations. But that's just me. Buying a house and moving are such a hassle, I can't imagine ever doing it except in the case of "We have definitely outgrown this house--we're tripping over each other and I can't get away from Spongebob on TV no matter where I go in here!" Oh, or winning the lottery; then I'd get one of those Home Makeover type houses and load it up with kiddos! :D
But if you are planning to move anyway, definitely take into consideration how much house you can get for the money in different areas, the restrictions on sleeping arrangements for foster kids of different ages, etc. A finished basement or attic family room can be a huge help, as well as any "bonus rooms" there might be. Or if the house is laid out on its lot in such a way that it will be "easy" (HA!) to someday build an addition or otherwise expand square footage.