Advertisements
Advertisements
What does severe expressive and receptive communication delays mean for a 6yo? What would I be looking at long term? Any help would be appreciated. I understand speech delays (articulation) but that's where my experience ends.
My son has expressive and receptive communication delays also. He is in speech therapy 3x per week. It is helping immensely. I would recommend talking with the pediatrician about getting some help.
Basically it means that his communication center in his brain has issues with regards to speaking and understanding what is spoken to him.
Advertisements
My son has this, although they gave it a general term of "language processing disorder". He's almost 7 now. The Children's Hospital speech therapist says there's nothing more they can do for him. It's very hard to understand what he says. The best he seems able to do is sentences like "doe-no" for I don't know and short two words sentences. If he tries longer sentences he leaves out all the words other than the main nouns and verb to get things like "him take ball toe" for He took the ball and threw it. He also has difficulty understanding anything we say that's even slightly complex. He can't repeat anything word for word, it gets changed in his head. He's also very literal. If we say, "It's late, so hop to bed" he will literally hop. He can't explain why he does anything. He can't put into words what happened in a book or movie.
They say he may never progress beyond where he's at now. This problem is often accompanied by a low IQ. Our son's IQ is 70. Hope that info helps.
happymamma
What does severe expressive and receptive communication delays mean for a 6yo? What would I be looking at long term? Any help would be appreciated. I understand speech delays (articulation) but that's where my experience ends.
Happy, like many other delays, there are so many variables it's hard to predict what your son will be able to do in the future. The best thing to do is hit him with a lot of love and therapy and go from there. My son also has severe expressive and articulation issues but we understand him more and more every day. He receives speech 4x a week, OT, behavioral therapy and hippotherapy.
The condition you refer is not a very severe one but it needs special care along with lots of love and support for the child. It is difficult for them to cope but we as aldults can help them pass the phase comfortably. Please refer to a good doc as soon as possible.