Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi All,
We are just in the home study process and ready to build our profile.
When is a good time on the adoption process to start buying the stuff for the baby?
Thanks!
:hippie:
Do what you are comfortable with. If you want a gender neutral room, you can prepare the room. For me it was too painful to have the room ready since we've been at this process so long. When we knew we were matched I started buying things and when our first match was due I bought the car seat two weeks prior to the scheduled due date. That match failed, so now I'm super prepared when the next match works out!
Advertisements
I pick up small things every time i am at Target or another box store.
Receiving blankets
onesies
But I am all about the gender nuetral or boy stuff.
We were matched in May with a girl. Then again with a girl who is now a boy (ultrasounds are not 100%)...
So I am buying only gender nuetral or boy clothes that a little girl could feesibly use.
We have a crib, compliments of a good friend. And I picked out my strooler and car seat and know where I can get it at a moments knotice.
But Im not going crazy. I figure it will be a ton of fun to go on a shopping spree when LO is here and I know we are getting him.
I waited until we were matched and even then, I only picked up basics like bottles and diapers. Right before the due date, I borrowed a few necessities like a bassinet and some clothes.
I was really worried to get too much stuff, which for the first match, was good since the b-mom decided to parent.
For our DS, we waited too long, and were running around re-borrowing stuff during the 72 hour wait because our b-mom had him a month early!
Do what you are comfortable with!
Mandy
I'm at exactly the same point in the process and wondering the same thing. I actually made my first baby purchase the other day, some newborn diapers, because I had a coupon and they were on sale! It was exciting. :)
My plan is to start painting the room (I'm planning on doing a big Disney mural, since I'm an animator) so that there's no rush and maybe keep an eye on craigslist for cheap or free furniture. Once we actually get a match, we'll probably do more shopping.
We did most of our shopping after our match occurred. I bought only the essentials - diapers, onesies, bottles, pack and play, car seat, stroller, etc. until the revocation period was over. You don't need much more than that at the very beginning anyway. We purchased everything else after the TPR was signed and the revocation period was over.
Advertisements
I called my BFF on way home from hospital and told her to go to target and get the basics and keep the receipt. We did buy the carseat on way to hospital but didn't take it out of box. Dh and I couldn't imagine spending months looking at stuff for a baby the wasn't ours "for real.". Now to be honest she was a month old before the nursery was finished (we did get a crib soon after she came home) but she didn't notice.
Most of the stuff you don't need right away, so don't get things because you think you have to (only if you want to :) ). I started checking out consignment sales in our area and got some things that were gender neutral that I could find at a good price-got a great high chair (which Peanut did not need for months, but CHEAP!), some monitors-which again we did not need for a while since he slept in a bassinet in our room at first. I found a crib, but again, we didn't need it for a while. I picked up a swing (which he HATED, so I'm glad it was consignment and not expensive), lots of onesies, an umbrella stroller (we have one for each vehicle, which makes it really convenient-we don't always want/need the big, heavier stroller). We didn't get the stroller and carseat until two weeks before the baby was due-then this family ended up parenting. We were ready when Peanut was born.
For me, it was fun picking up things here and there. The nursery was a place of hope for me. Even though we had a match with a familly who ultimately decided to parent, we didn't have a long wait before Peanut came home. I'm not sure how I would've felt about the nursery if we'd waited a long time with it ready, waiting, and empty. As others have said, do what feels right for you.
Our baby room was already decorated as a neutral, child friendly room for my brother's kids who come to stay. We have a bunch of stuffed animals in there and an animal blind on the window. We took a picture of that and funnily enough our neighbour with a baby and a crib had walls in her baby's room the same colour so rather than borrow her crib we took a picture of her baby's room!
We know we are flying to meet our baby when he (we think it's a he) is born so I'm planning on running round Target when we get there, not buying baby clothes/bottles and putting them in our suitcases.
We'll rent a carseat, crib/carrycot etc. for while we are in state and then we have some offers from friends of outgrown stuff when we get back and will buy the rest as soon as we get home (hubby may arrive home first so will be getting the carseat to pick us up from the airport!)
We are starting our home study in June but I so want to start buying little things here and there. We agreed that if we ran across something for the baby at an inexpensive price we would get it and just store it away.
Advertisements
bluebutterfly78
Hi All,
We are just in the home study process and ready to build our profile.
When is a good time on the adoption process to start buying the stuff for the baby?
Thanks!
:hippie:
We only started buying things one we were matched with the baby. It was a bit of a rush, but very exciting and we didn't get anything we didn't need.
We sorted out the baby room; we painted it and put in some storage, a cot and a sofa.
We also bought a few special items such as cute clothes and toys.
When we were waiting we used to sit on the sofa with the teddy bear we had bought and imagine having the baby home. The baby came home in the first outfit we had bought and the first family photo we took was on the sofa with the teddy bear!
We were just matched in the last 2 weeks with a birthmom who is due around december 14, Im dying to buy stuff but my husband insists we wait until we are in the city we are going to pick the baby up in. I worry we may not have time to shop once the Baby is born and we are in the hospital.
Advertisements
I was started my shopping at holidays season because that time i got huge discount in my bay shopping and i would like to recommend you to buy clothing for your baby in outer season or Black Friday, Christmas and Easter seasons.
We did fost-adopt. We put up a crib, dresser and bookshelf while waiting, and borrowed a car-seat, but that was about it. We weren't sure what age we would get, so we kept it pretty minimal until we were matched. My cats thanked me for the huge cat bed (AKA crib) and private room.