Advertisements
Advertisements
It has been recently brought to my attention that I am adopted. I am 36 years old! My parents will not discuss so I am on my own to find information. Many friends and neighbors of my family have told me I am and even some of my cousins dont seem surprised when I ask but no concrete information given. I do not exist when I search myself on ancestory.com....I have sent a request to the MN DOH for an adoptee birth certificate.....I have a photo of my mom holding me as an infant infront of a bldg. here in MN with abldg. number of 355 - this is also the address of the Seton Residence for unwed mothers.....so many questions and not sure where to start...anyone who has ideas I am open....thanks!
Really, really sorry your parents are acting this way.
If you are adopted you will only receive a birth certificate listing your parents. Your original birth certificate was sealed away at the time of adoption.
Did you file for your orignal birth certificate? Here is a link to the description of what you are entitled to and what they will do for you if you don't already know.
[url=http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/minnesota-laws.html]Minnesota Adoption Laws[/url]
Stick around and talk,
Dickons
Advertisements
Thanks for responding. I went on the DOH website and I filed the paperwork for an adoptee to get their original BC. Thanks for the information I will take a look.
I also found a photo of my mom holding me as a very small infant outside of a buidling with the number 355 on it. I did some research and found documentation that 355 Marshall Ave. in St. Paul was the Seton residence a home for unwed mothers run by the sisters of St. Joseph's.... Seems like a major coincidence?????
smm2011
Thanks for responding. I went on the DOH website and I filed the paperwork for an adoptee to get their original BC. Thanks for the information I will take a look.
I also found a photo of my mom holding me as a very small infant outside of a buidling with the number 355 on it. I did some research and found documentation that 355 Marshall Ave. in St. Paul was the Seton residence a home for unwed mothers run by the sisters of St. Joseph's.... Seems like a major coincidence?????
Have you looked up 355 Marshall Avenue on Google Map? I just had a look and there is a fairly oldish building there. If the building you see at that address on Google Maps is the same one as in your picture, then I would say it is not a coincidence.
smm2011
Have you looked up 355 Marshall Avenue on Google Map? I just had a look and there is a fairly oldish building there. If the building you see at that address on Google Maps is the same one as in your picture, then I would say it is not a coincidence.
I actually drove to 355 Marshall Ave. on SUnday - the location is currently a private school but at one time it was St. Joseph's Academy run by the same nuns that ran the Seton Center. I have an email into Catholic Charities to see if they can verify the address as one of their locations. Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.
Advertisements
It is confirmed and I was correct - adopted through Catholic Charities and waiting on my Birth Family History. My parents finally admitted it. What a reflief! Thanks for your thoughts!
I saw your posting about looking for your mother. I'm not sure if I know her but I did live there 9/74 -3/75. I'd be happy to look at your picture to see if I remember her.
Lucille
Thanks for reaching out to me. I am out of town but will send you a picture of me as a baby to see if it helps. Also, I have some information on my birth mother from my Birth history that may also help. Will send tomorrow night. Thank you so much!
Advertisements
I don't have any baby pictures as my mom and dad have them. I do have my birth family history here is what I can give you:
My birth mother was 22 when I was born...she was of German/Spanish decent. She was 5ft. 5inches tall and 135lbs. She had dark brown hair, hazel eyes and a medium complexion. They described her as being "slow" developmentally and suffered from convulsions as a child. She graduated from HS and liked to play guitar. She worked as a silk printer. She was married and divorced prior to becoming pregnant. She met with a case worker from Catholic Charities on Jan. 28, 1975. She had 6 siblings.
Not sure if this will help. Thanks!
I don't have any baby pictures as my mom and dad have them. I do have my birth family history here is what I can give you:
My birth mother was 22 when I was born...she was of German/Spanish decent. She was 5ft. 5inches tall and 135lbs. She had dark brown hair, hazel eyes and a medium complexion. They described her as being "slow" developmentally and suffered from convulsions as a child. She graduated from HS and liked to play guitar. She worked as a silk printer. She was married and divorced prior to becoming pregnant. She met with a case worker from Catholic Charities on Jan. 28, 1975. She had 6 siblings.
Not sure if this will help. Thanks!
I'm sorry. I was one of the last two residents living in the center for unwed mothers. The center closed in mid March 1975. I don't recall when Julie gave birth but I think it was after me so may have been April. However, Julie was not developmentally delayed. She was 14 I believe. Julie and I were placed into Birthright Homes until our deliveries. There was also an aftercare unit where moms came back after giving birth and lived there for a time. I didn't know very many of those girls. I'll see if I have Julie's picture somewhere.
Actually my birth mom was 20 years old so I don't think this is the same person...my name when I was born was "Ann"....
Advertisements