Advertisements
Advertisements
I tried to search for this topic last night as I am sure it has been asked, but I couldn't find it.
I'm wondering what sort of questions are asked in the homestudy?
AND I'm wondering how to proceed with providing information about past mental health issues. If one has a long and substantial history of mental illness but has been stable for several years and "in remission" for at least a year and a half (with the aide of ongoing medication and therapy) will their case worker be less likely to license them? Especially if that mental illness was NEVER a danger to other people? My therapist who I have been seeing for 3+ years is willing to recommend me "without reservation" and thinks that I have the perfect skill set to be a foster parent... So my questions related to all that are: Will they specifically ask about history of mental illness? If they don't ask, should I volunteer that information? Should I just try to down-play it (not mention details of hospitalizations or how long the issue went on, etc) and just say that although I have a history of it, its well controlled and doesn't interfere with my life now? Will they want to speak with my therapist?
I'm nervous about the whole process and would like to know what sorts of questions we need to be prepared for and sort of information they are looking to collect about us. How many references will we need to have and how long do they need to have known us?