Advertisements
Advertisements
I am at the brink of a complete emotional breakdown... help for myself is a joke because I'm too busy tending to the needs of my 10 yr old AS who has ODD, ADHD, RAD, PICA, and a number of other diagnosis. He and his sister age 12 have put us through hell with CPS investigations for Physical and Sexual abuse allegations... no one in my family understands what we're feeling. I feel like my husband sometimes is too hopeful and has probably bonded with the children more than I have. In 2008 we finalized the adoption and I lost both my parents, which was devastating but as with everything else... it meant I had to mourn/grieve and move on quickly because their behavior issues continued. They've admitted that they do things to make it difficult on us and my daughter has even gone so far as to saying that she accused my husband of sexual abuse as a way of "teaching me a lesson". I've cried out to both states involved in the placement and adoption but both ignore my plees. I don't know what to do anymore and feel as if we are the ones being abused, neglected, and exploited. There is no question that they've endured a lot to make them this way, but instead of getting support from family and friends I get dirty looks, blamed and have even been told that I feel this way because they aren't my biological children. It's never been a question of loving them, it's a matter of surviviing them and it's a horrible way of looking at something that should have brought us so much joy.
I'd repost this in the special needs board here. I know how you feel. Surviving is a good way to put living with emotionally disturbed kids. You do lose your friends who can't believe children could be as bad as you say they are. I believe you-I've lived it.
Are you working with a therapist? I'm wondering if you are creating the kind of paper trail that may help you place your children out of home should they continue to get worse. Also, a good therapist but offer some suggestions and support that will make this survival easier for you.
I'm sorry that you are struggling. The isolation of parenting a child who is emotionally disturbed is one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced.
This isn't your fault, despite what your friends think and say.
I hope you can find some people close to you who really get what it is like to live in your life.
Advertisements
I'm so sorry that this has been such a trial for you. : ( Sometimes I don't understand other people, instead of being loving and supportive of such a loving act of adoption, people seem to get judgmental and scared and they push you away. I had someone say to me - "I hope that if this doesn't work out that you'll have him removed." I wanted to say...... I'm not adopting a dog!!!! This is a child - who needs a FAMILY - do you even understand the concept of that??? Sometimes people just don't think. : (