Advertisements
Advertisements
just got this emailed from dcs.
i guess this is good news? time will tell.
NEWS RELEASE
For immediate release Friday, August 19, 2011
Indiana Dept. of Child Services Announces New Foster Care Reimbursement Rates
Per Diem Changes Effective January 1
INDIANAPOLIS—As a result of a legal settlement, today the Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) released a new foster care per diem rate schedule. The reimbursements become effective January 1, 2012. With the new rates, the supervision needs of the child and his or her age, rather than the licensure level of the foster home, will determine the rate at which foster parents are reimbursed. All of the approximately 4,900 foster homes currently licensed in Indiana will be affected—about 2,700 managed by DCS and about 2,200 managed by Licensed Child Placement Agencies.
“The new rates we’re unveiling today are the direct result of a survey of our foster parents by the Ball State University Center for Business and Economic Research,” said James W. Payne, DCS Director. “These new rates focus foremost on the needs of the child, which are our most important considerations when it becomes necessary for us to remove a child from his or her home for their own safety.”
In 2009 DCS announced an intention to implement a 10 percent decrease in the foster care daily per diem, from $25 to $22.50. The American Civil Liberties Union then filed a lawsuit on behalf of several foster parents. A Federal District Court froze the rates at the 2009 level until DCS could demonstrate a clear methodology for covering the costs of caring for a foster child.
As a part of a legal settlement, DCS agreed to develop a rate setting method to determine foster care rates. To that end, DCS drafted administrative rules and held public hearings to gather input on the proposed methodology. As set out in the rules, the foster care rates cover the reasonable costs of caring for a foster child including, but not limited to, food, clothing, shelter, daily supervision, a child’s personal incidentals and travel for visitation and school. DCS engaged the Ball State University Center for Business and Economic Research to survey Indiana foster parents to understand the actual costs incurred by foster care households associated with caring for foster kids. (A copy of the study may be viewed at [url=http://www.in.gov/dcs]DCS: Home[/url].)
Some children need enhanced supervision, which is categorized as Foster Care with Services, Therapeutic Foster Care or Therapeutic Plus. Rates for these categories of supervision were determined by a formula using the Ball State University Foster Care rate and the current rates paid to service providers for these enhanced services. Like the Foster Care rates, these are also broken out by age group. A nationally-recognized assessment tool, the Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths assessment (CANS), along with input from child and family team meetings, will be used by DCS to determine the category of care the child requires.
Beginning January 1, in addition to per diem rates described above, foster parents may receive additional payments to help purchase items that will benefit the child. The personal allowance will increase from $100 to $300 annually which can help children in care participate in activities such as sports, band or scouts, attend events such as a prom, or provide for other extracurricular fees. (See list of additional payments below.)
“The special allowances of $50 for the child’s birthday and $50 during the December holiday season will help foster parents see the child receives things during these gift-giving occasions,” said Payne. “While a child is in out-of-home care, it is important the child receive the level of supervision necessary but also for the child to celebrate a birthday or remain involved in extracurricular activities. Foster children are no different than any other child.”
About Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS):
DCS is committed to protecting children who are victims of abuse or neglect. Family case managers’ primary goal is to keep children at home with their family though sometimes placing them in temporary foster care is necessary to ensure their safety. The Kids First Trust Fund, supported by the sale of ‘Kids First’ specialty automobile license plates, subsidizes child abuse and neglect prevention programs. DCS also oversees foster-care adoptions and the child support bureau. In collaboration with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts, Books for Youth is targeting a Super Goal for the Super Game: collect 750,000 books for foster kids by Feb. 2012. Child abuse/neglect hotline: 800.800.5556. [url=http://www.in.gov/dcs]DCS: Home[/url].
RATE CHART ATTACHED.
For more information:
Ann Houseworth, Communications Director
Ann.Houseworth@dcs.in.gov
Rich Allen, ***’t. Communications Director
Rich.Allen@dcs.in.gov
INDIANA DEPARTMENT OF CHILD SERVICES’
NEW FOSTER CARE RATES
The standard per diem payments effective January 1, 2012 are:
Category of Supervision
Foster Care - Infant – 4 years $18.28, 5 – 13 years $19.85, 14 – 18 years $22.90
Foster Care with Services - Infant – 4 years $26.05, 5 – 13 years $27.62, 14 – 18 years $30.67
Therapeutic Foster Care - Infant – 4 years $38.19, 5 – 13 years $39.76, 14 – 18 years $42.81
Therapeutic Plus - Infant – 4 years $61.94, 5 – 13 years $63.51, 14 – 18 years $66.56
In addition to the above described per diem payment, foster parents may receive the following payments to purchase items for the benefit of the child:
1. Initial Clothing Allowance – DCS may provide the foster family with an initial clothing and personal items allotment at the time of placement of up to $200 based on the child's need.
2. Liability Insurance – DCS will provide foster care liability insurance for foster parents through a contract with the Indiana Foster Care and Adoption Association (IFCAA). Foster parents no longer need to be members of IFCAA to obtain the insurance.
3. Personal Allowance – DCS will reimburse foster parents up to $300 annually for each child in placement. Foster parents may request reimbursement for personal allowance items once the child has been in placement for at least 8 days. The items that fall within the personal allowance will be defined in DCS Policy.
4. Special Occasion Allowance – DCS will provide a $50 special occasion allowance on the child’s birthday and a $50 special occasion allowance during the December holidays.
5. Travel Reimbursement – DCS will reimburse foster parents for travel in excess of 162 miles if the travel is for visitation, school, physical/behavioral health appointment or other DCS required travel which will be set out in the Indiana Foster Parent Resource Guide.
footnote:
(1) The foster care per diem covers 162 miles per month for travel as determined by the Ball State Study. If foster parents travel in excess of 162 miles for the reasons cited in 5 above, foster parents can invoice DCS for the additional travel. ###
Advertisements
my question is what defines each specific category? i think they will try their hardest to put each child in the lowest category and it will be **** near impossible to try and prove otherwise.
both of my boys should have been categorized as therapeutic or therapeutic plus, and each case manager refused to change that in the system.
i just hope this wasn't a sneaky way to get over.
Hoping2adoptsibs
In Indiana, do you need to be classified as a therapeutic home and get additional training to be certified?
In order to be a therapeutic foster home, you need to be licensed through an agency like Whites or Villages or Gateway Woods or similar agencies.
In addition, you have to have at least 10 more hours of training per year to stay licensed.
Does that answer your question?
Advertisements
Yep.
Another question is for each child that a therapeutic classified home gets, is that child deemed higher needs automatically or is it case by case on each child, not the home itself?
I'm afraid of the same thing, IceKitty. What defines the categories.
Foster care with services should be kids that need therapy and have tons of visits. If that's the case, two of my 3 should qualify for that category.
Babies are the most expensive, with their clothing needs, and all the baby supplies they have to have, and yet that category is the lowest paid.
Mileage... for the 162 miles, is that round trip, one way, or accumulated through the month?
Aaaahhhh... why don't they leave things alone???
i don't know if anyone is interested, but i got an email from another foster parent with an interesting idea. i'm thinking of actually doing it. and this sort of thing is exactly what i am talking about. i knew there was something to this that has us foster parents losing, not winning, lol.
Hi all,
I'm not including XXXXX on this email because I don't want XXX to have to worry about it. XXX does a wonderful job and is just the messenger of this news. After doing some quick math, if I have two children in care for a year, the loss of per diem adds up to almost $5000. I personally will have an extremely difficult time making this work. I noticed in the email the ACLU filed the initial lawsuit and was able to postpone the decrease for a couple of years. I sent in a complaint to them and asked if there was any way to appeal this decision. If any of you would like to do this as well you can submit your complaint online at
[url=http://www.aclu-in.org/file_a_complaint]File a Complaint | American Civil LIberties Union of Indiana NEW[/url]
If you don't wish to be involved, I completely understand. I just think if there are several complaints, there will more of an attempt made. Obviously, the first lawsuit accomplished something. Maybe this will too. With the economy the way it is, there is a greater than ever need for good foster families. Per diem should be going up, not down during this time.
Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Seems confusing. In 9 placements, I have never received the $100 clothing allowance so not sure that increase will help.
Looks like they are wanting FP to do more but most cases they are taking a cut. We'll see how it goes.
Not sure what the difference between Foster care and Foster care with services. The letter from the mail listed meeting times for families to attend.
FP requirement be able to roll with the punches, fly by the seat of your pants and welcome continual change.
Advertisements
icekitty
my question is what defines each specific category? i think they will try their hardest to put each child in the lowest category and it will be **** near impossible to try and prove otherwise.
both of my boys should have been categorized as therapeutic or therapeutic plus, and each case manager refused to change that in the system.
i just hope this wasn't a sneaky way to get over.
N's older brother and sister were the regular rate. They were having major behavioral problems. We told the foster mom that she needed to put her foot down, get the additional training, and get them re-classified. CW told her not to bother. She really needed the extra help and training that therapeutic parents get. They were eventually moved to a therapeutic home. It's unfortunate. It shouldn't be so hard to get a kid re-classified.
I've got to wonder if First Steps and wearing orthotics would be considered services. Hope so, but N will probably get the lowest rate.
A definite decrease for most placements. Great.
And Babies definitly require more supervision and more supplies, so what are they thinking????
Screw the foster home, no doubt.
I think I will be done after the 1st of the year anyway, I am no longer in a position to shell out money so massively beyond the per diem.
It's interesting too, I know of a home in my county with 9 kids, so much for the rules.
I am guessing the cw will classify the child, after all they will know so much about them, right? Like ICE KITTY says, it will be like snow in july to get it changed, time off work for massive appointments to get the proof that the conditions exist and will no doubt take forever to get those appointments.
I have referral to Riley for a child now, I called yesterday, we were on the 6 week mark and hadn't heard anything,they told me that they were booked through the end of the year at this time and weren't scheduling appointments. When they start scheduling again, my referral will get an appoint in the order received. If they all go like that, how many will be around long enough for a ruling, and you can bet they won't make it retro-active.
How many people at DCS spend money out of their own pockets for out kids? How many of them shell out $8 admission to the state fair just to give the kids something normal? The Zoo, the swimming pool, buy them at book at walmart? Not a d@#$ one of them.
In case you can't tell I'm furious, I wasn't surveryed, anyone else???? How large was their sampling?? GRRRRR!!!
Hoping2adoptsibs
Yep.
Another question is for each child that a therapeutic classified home gets, is that child deemed higher needs automatically or is it case by case on each child, not the home itself?
In the past if you're with an agency, the kids are automatically therapeutic. DCS has to pay the agency. Then they pay the foster parent. Sounds like they are going to change that up.
For example, we have a family at school who are foster parents with Kids Peace. The mom's mother is also a foster parent with Kids Peace. They live next door to each other. A sibling group of five came into care. They are all 0 to 6. DCS wanted to keep them together if at all possible. The kids also have some developmental disabilities. They checked through the regular foster parents with openings. No one had that many openings so they were reclassified as therapeutic. Three of the kids are with the mom and the other two are with the grandma. They see each other all the time because they are next door. So it's almost like they are in the same home. Those kids will probably go from Therapeutic to Foster with services. That will be a major and painful decrease.
In Marion Co., there is also Tier II which is temporary for kids that they can't find a regular foster home and need a week to find a therapeutic home.
StephanieMB
Mileage... for the 162 miles, is that round trip, one way, or accumulated through the month?
162 miles per month is what the foster home is responsible for and after that amount, you have to submit for it.
Advertisements
Anyone know this affects current adoption subsidies? In the contract it says any change must be agreed on by both parties (parents and DCS) but I know when the other attempt at change came out, it was an automatic change for adoption subs too. I'm talking about the Federal AAP, not the state's.