Advertisements
Advertisements
DCS was putting $103,000,000 back in the state's general fund because they didn't need it. It's one thing if they're really hurting for money, but obviously they aren't.
Advertisements
naca
Even if you get federal adoption subsidy , the check still comes from the state of IN.. like the previous poster, when they tried to reduce the foster rate in 2009 we were automatically shorted on our adoption subsidy for a few months before it was paid back thanks to the lawsuit.
I have no faith in this state.. I tried to get my one AS's foster rate bumped up to therapeutic level a few years ago and was yelled at because they don't "do " that with non-agency homes.. Funny, the head of our foster parent training suggested it b/c all I needed to do was take a few more hours for the SN license.. I was then told that medicaid covers his numerous surgeries so why in the world would I need a higher rate?? This from the same county that threatened to remove him & his brother (with us 4.5 & 2.5 yrs at the time) when I wanted to fight for a decent adoption subsidy (again, they'll get medicaid.. that covers their various medical issues, you're just in it for the money.. UGH!
In theory, I like the idea of the $$ being based on the kids needs vs the licensing of the foster home but I just know it won't work out well..
FYI- my AS has had 4heart related surgeries, numerous other tests/procedures.. Been inpatient 9times in 5yrs. Has Asthma, is in therapy, has autonomic dysfunction & has a pacemaker.. Yeah, I don't think he qualifies for more than basic level. geesh
The more I thought about it, the changes might actually cause my subsidy to go up. My son has asthma, needs speech therapy, ADHD, possibly sleep apnea (we have done the sleep study and have the follow up in a week), and an incurable bloodborne disease. If that doesn't count as something other than just your average, healthy kid, I don't know what would.
I had a much better result in getting what we were originally offered ($5/day) for our 2 boys (on top of 5yr old's issues, the 3yr old has ADHD, asthma, developmental delays, obstructive sleep apnea (needs cpap), speech delays & seizures) by complaining to the state subsidy dept of the county's high handedness & threats of removal. . Of course it still was pitiful compared to our 6yr old that we adopted back in 2006.. Times are changing, and not for the better in this state :(
In theory I like the idea of per diems being based on kids' needs too, but I'm confident it won't work.
If the KidTrax office gets confused and are slow to pay with a straightforward simple daily rate for everyone as it is, how are they ever going to manage with all kids' rates being different, sometimes even different for the same kid in the same month??
Plus add in extra "line items" like travel, special allowances, etc. They'll be in a state of permanent confusion and getting paid will be few and far between.
It's a mess. My dh thinks the state is trying to make it all as frustrating and complicated as possible, so fp's won't even go to the bother of invoicing them. What an excellent way to save the state money!! :arrow: :grr:
We received the letter. However, it refers to the foster parent rate changing. I understand that. We are adoptive parents as well with subsidies that have been in place for years. Is this 2012 rate just reflective of the fp rate change cause we received no notification of a subsidy rate change, just one that said fp, as we do have one fc in care. Any advice or knowledge on this issue. Thank you.
Advertisements
rozelle
We received the letter. However, it refers to the foster parent rate changing. I understand that. We are adoptive parents as well with subsidies that have been in place for years. Is this 2012 rate just reflective of the fp rate change cause we received no notification of a subsidy rate change, just one that said fp, as we do have one fc in care. Any advice or knowledge on this issue. Thank you.
This was specifically asked in the meeting tonight. Subsidy rate will NOT change reflecting the FP rate change. Whatever the perdiem was when child was adopted is your locked in rate.
My little guys adoption should finalize next month and we will be based on the current rate.
dhardawa
I'm an adoptive parent in Indiana and my subsidy does come from the state. When they tried to reduce the foster care subsidy in 2009, my adoption subsidy went down too. I would love to know how this will impact adoption subsidies since I have received no information in the mail, don't know where they would classify my son, or if I would also receive the other lump sums of money.
My son also is qualified for state subsidy.. but we were placed on the never ending wait list. This is another issue I wish they would resolve ( as in fund!) They keep taking from per diem.. ar trying to.. on top of not even funding any new subsidy agreements they entered into. Im not sure why they even offer it to any one if they dont plan to hold up to their end of it. I was happyto have the medicaid and NRAE paid.. but the subsidy would be ever so helpful!!!