Advertisements
Advertisements
:grr: I have a 6 yrs boy who i adopted last year. He is being assested right know and they believe he has ADHD. He has very high energy in school, group settings and when he is anxious. I do know that last year he was hitting kids and using his body to block kids from stuff or when they arent doing what he wants them to do. We have been working on using your words not your body when not happy. I need help in how to react to when he comes off the bus and the bus driver says he has been hitting and standing up in the bus. He becomes loud and the driver can only call out to him...he doesnt listen to her or forgets and continues. what are things i can do to get him to behave on he bus. exspecally with the hitting. I have talked to him calmly about hitting and how would he feel and stuff but he still continues. We have punished him but he still does....I will not hit him so dont tell me to spank or anything like that. I want useful suggestions pls. Thamk you:grr:
Have you tried a karate class? Sounds weird, I know.. but the discipline was helping Dd's brother with his anger and boundariy issues (until they quit)
Advertisements
:drive: Is it possible for him to be a car rider? He may need to be a car rider if you have tried several things and talked to him and he continue to hurt others. His aggressive behavior could be distracting for the bus driver. If he continues to hit the school should have already suspended him off the bus for hitting.
You need to make his world as small as possible. He is a scared little boy. So, he is lashing out. I agree with mothertwo in regards to taking him to school. If you can't do it, pay someone to take him. The poor little guy is scared and overwhelmed.
wcurry - makes a good point about Karate class. My daughter was big on hitting and anger. We have made a lot of progress this year. She does have a punching bag to help get her frustrations out. Just a little kid one ($7 at various stores).
As I mentioned, I had a problem with my daughter (3 and a half) in regards to hitting and anger. What has helped has been making her world a lot smaller. I had to move her to an in-home Preschool because a big daycare situation was too overwhelming and noisy for her. Every morning it was a fight to get her to Preschool and every afternoon she would come home swinging. Now that we have moved (only 6 kids) she loves going to Preschool and doesn't try to beat me up when she gets home. In addition to that, she no longer runs errands with me, goes to birthday parties for other children etc. That was way too much for her. Life is calmer now. Occasionally she will run an errand with me to pick up one item but sometimes that is even too much.
By the way, I took a parenting class online, Beyond Consequences. This helped me change my total perspective on what my daughter is going thru. Heather Forbes helped me make the changes my daughter needed me to make in order to help her feel safe & secure.
lovingmother4444
:grr: I have a 6 yrs boy who i adopted last year. He is being assested right know and they believe he has ADHD. He has very high energy in school, group settings and when he is anxious. I do know that last year he was hitting kids and using his body to block kids from stuff or when they arent doing what he wants them to do. We have been working on using your words not your body when not happy.
It would depend on *why* he is doing this. We can't just assume he's young....and in my view, always removing children from challenging situations does little to teach issue resolution.
I would ask that he be moved to sit behind the driver. That will help the driver be heard. I would also ask if there is or should be a safety assistant on the bus. I would strongly suggest to the school that one is needed.
I'd also try having something for him to hold to occupy his hands and mind while on the bus.
Try social stories about good manners and safety riding the bus. Retell the story each morning to model those traits before he gets on the bus. I'd get him to evaluate how he did when he gets off.
If he responds to rewards, ask the bus driver to give you a thumbs up or down a the end of the day, then mark thumbs up on the chart and leave thumbs up blank. Total up to a reward.
Our guy uses a harnes on the bus. It keeps him sitting and safe. He does not mind the harnes. He sits in the first seat to the right of the driver.
Continue working with naming his emotions
Good luck :grouphug:
Advertisements
I agree there online parenting classes for this. He may not be able to express how he feels in any other way than hitting. When he feels frustrated it may reach a high level so that by the time you know he's frustrated his feelings are already out of control.
My one suggestion is to try to get him to talk more about how he feels. Throughout the day tell him how you feel then ask him how he feels so that he gets used to communicating his feelings maybe these small steps can train him to talk rather than hit.
Kelley King-Spears, I'm Jumpstart on Amazon.
you say he is having issues at school, is he on an IEP? If so, you can ask them to mend it and have him 'door to door' with the bus. (a specialized bus)
in my view, always removing children from challenging situations does little to teach issue resolution.
I have too disagree, I understand the idea that kids should be taught, but when it involves safety of the other kids then I have to disagree.
If a child cannot control themselves on the bus, then other accomadations have to be made. She will have plenty of other opportuinities to teach the child certain lessons.
I know when my kids use to act out in the car, it was real hard to concentrate i would have to pull over to the side of the road until they can calm down. But buses are on schedules and they just cant do that.
Plus, the lesson is, if you cant control yourself on the bus, then you cant ride it. Lessons learned...:clap:
My kids had a horrible time on the bus, too much past trauma for them to be around all that noise.