Advertisements
Advertisements
So this is our situation,
About 4 weeks ago we recieved a call from my partners former cleint asking us to care for her daughters unborn baby who is expected to go into foster care. Her daughter (babies mom) is in jail. So over that last few weeks, babies mom has been calling us from jail to get everything worked out. Baby is either going to test positive for drug, or mom is going to give rights to the state and baby will be in foster care. Well last night mom called from jail and said she does not want to go through the state because all the inmates are saying how she would never get baby back. So now she will not go through the state. She had admitted to using meth, first she said only one time, now last night said she used 3-4 times during pregnancy. So what my question is how offten do they drug test babies when they are born? How long does it stay in the baby? Will the baby withdrawl?
Please help, if the baby does end up in foster care, she will be with us since we are foster parents and the family knows us.
Thanks in advance!:thanks:
Mom went to jail after being caught at a meth house. We dont want baby to be positive, we want what is best for her. Mom has been in jail for about four weeks. According to our case worker, baby could be placed with whom ever mom wants if she does not test positive. The babies meconium could show drugs used after month four of pregnancy until she is born. We are just very concerned with babies health and we want her to be healthy! She is in my prayers everynight!
Advertisements
CelticMomma
If mom hasn't used in months (not sure how long she has been in jail) then there is a good chance that the effects will be mild and baby might not need drug support for withdrawal or even have symptoms.
This is not entirely true. Drug use, especially if used within the first 3 months of pregnancy are the most dangerous. The reason: The first 3 months are the time period in which the baby's major systems are forming, such as brain, heart, nervous system and organs. Even one time drug use during this time period could be severely detrimental to the fetus. The second to third trimester is less dangerous (though obviously not healthy either), because the fetus is fully formed and just is in the "growing phase". So unfortunately, even early drug use can be very bad for the baby.
However, as far as withrawal, hopefully it won't be an issue if it was not continual drug abuse. But there may be more issues in this baby than just drug withrawel, so just be aware of this if you do get placed with this child.
[QUOTE=UTbrie]This is not entirely true. Drug use, especially if used within the first 3 months of pregnancy are the most dangerous. The reason: The first 3 months are the time period in which the baby's major systems are forming, such as brain, heart, nervous system and organs. Even one time drug use during this time period could be severely detrimental to the fetus. The second to third trimester is less dangerous (though obviously not healthy either), because the fetus is fully formed and just is in the "growing phase". So unfortunately, even early drug use can be very bad for the baby.
I totally agree, I was basing my response on the idea of testing positive at birth and the chance of active withdrawal. I would also find out if mom was placed on methadone when she went to jail as part of a drug program. Our bio took methadone as part of her treatment program but also actively used.
And if mom is using one drug there is a good chance she has used others and/or alcohol. Doesn't make for a good start for little ones.
With the list we have of what bio mom was on with our little one it is a continual amazement that she is here at all...
Well baby was born and we just got the call, they are waiting on the first stool to take a sample, but from what we know, she is 7lbs, hopefully healthy. I will post an update when we find out more info!
TIFFnLAC
Mom went to jail after being caught at a meth house. We dont want baby to be positive, we want what is best for her. Mom has been in jail for about four weeks. According to our case worker, baby could be placed with whom ever mom wants if she does not test positive. The babies meconium could show drugs used after month four of pregnancy until she is born. We are just very concerned with babies health and we want her to be healthy! She is in my prayers everynight!
I by no means meant you want her to be positive. I am just asking if you want the fact that mom has done drugs to show up at delivery because you are afraid that if she does not then she might fall through the cracks? I wouldn't want the baby to test positive but if she has been exposed it helps sometimes with docmentation if there is proof. I would take it that mom saying she used is good enough but has she admitted it to more than just you? I only say this because what PP have said is so true (about the damaging effects with early term use) and services seem so much easier to put in place when there is a known and documented history. You mentioned that mom doesn't want to place her with the state. Does that mean that she wants you to care for her until she gets out and then just hand her over? Or are you hoping CPS gets involved so that they can be the ones to make the decision if and when this baby can return to her care? I would not want to be in the middle of that situation without someone other than myself making that call. Good luck. I hope the baby does well and is healthy!
Advertisements
TIFFnLAC
Well baby was born and we just got the call, they are waiting on the first stool to take a sample, but from what we know, she is 7lbs, hopefully healthy. I will post an update when we find out more info!
How long has she been in jail,from what I understand that,the drugs leave the system,after 2day to 4 weeks,depending what there on.I think pot stays longer than most drugs.Yes the baby make take several months to ween from drugs.
Don't ever assume that a pregnant woman isn't using drugs simply because she's currently incarcerated. As a previous poster pointed out, it is actually easier to score illegal substances on the "inside," rather than out on the streets. Drug abuse is one of the major problems encountered on a daily basis within our penal system.
The other thing I'd be skeptical about is her claim of only using crystal meth a few times. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard an addict say they'd only used crystal "a few times." I'd be a very rich woman today, lol!
On a positive note, if she only used crystal meth during her first trimester, the baby may very well not have any serious lifelong problems. My nephew was exposed in utero to crystal meth for several months before his mother agreed to go into rehab and clean up. (I threatened her with bringing CPS into the picture, and it scared her to death.) My nephew is now 22 years old and in his last year of undergraduate studies. He's highly intelligent and hopefully will be attending medical school next year. He didn't have any drug-related problems at all during infancy, toddlerhood, or childhood. :clap:
Another possibility if she doesn't have a lot of jail time and if the org is in her city is Safe Families for Children. She wouldn't lose custody, but baby would be cared for until she gets out.
So we are in a frantic to get the house ready, we get her this morning from the hospital. All of her test have came back negative for drugs but mom gave her rights to the state so she could get help. We are excited. Thank you all for such great help!
Advertisements
TIFFnLAC
So we are in a frantic to get the house ready, we get her this morning from the hospital. All of her test have came back negative for drugs but mom gave her rights to the state so she could get help. We are excited. Thank you all for such great help!
That's what I was hoping,Hopefully that means the baby wont have to ween of the drugs.Good luck on this baby.
Mama2Gia
I know that the two main types of drug testing on newborns are meconium (the baby's stool) or urine. Meconium testing can detect drug use in the mother for awhile but urine testing usually only detects back for a few days to a week or so. The hospital does not need the mother's permission to test the baby but I am not sure if they would do a Meconium test.
They tested our little guy umbilical cord and could go back to 20 weeks in uetero.
dalynn1997
They tested our little guy umbilical cord and could go back to 20 weeks in uetero.
Thank you! I did not know they did that. Not that it matters for some of the babies in care. So often they forget to do a test, don't think to do one, or when they do- lose the results. You know, those ones that can't be run again 48 hours later. Glad to know there is a way to go back pretty far!
Advertisements
To be curious, if she is taking meth, and the baby is unborn, huge chance that the baby will be addicted and need withdrawal process. Child safety will see this as a positive step as opposed to lying and trying to hide it from them.
Source -
three options for the drug test, after the baby is born:
1) baby tests negative for exposure, doesn't mean they were not exposed, just that it's been long enough since bio-mom used that baby tests negative
2) baby tests positive for exposure, but is not actively addicted when born
3) baby is born actively addicted, will need NICU, necessary life-saving meds in NICU are known to cause issues like ADHD
We adopted two children from foster care, both heavily exposed to meth, one that tested positive at birth but was not addicted, and one that tested positive at birth and was addicted and was in the NICU for weeks, both with ADHD. The child that had been in the NICU had much more sever ADHD and other issues like short term memory problems.
Exposure has consequences, but the severity is hard to measure until children are school age, even when symptoms are clearly present by age 3 or 4.
Bottom line, pregnant women should be supported to stop using, and educated about the fact that the sooner they stop using, the better life-long outcome for their child.
In our communities, these children need our support, and the stability of having one family from birth, and all of their needs met, which makes a huge difference in how their exposure before birth ultimately effects them. These children have challenges that are no fault of their own, and some of these challenges can be overcome with medication, like ADHD, which is safely treated with short-acting medications. Long-acting ADHD meds have side effects that should be carefully considered.