Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello...I'm looking into adopting as a single woman from Ethiopia. I've spoken with several agencies already and know that it is still possible with this country.
For those that have recently adopted or are in the process (both couples and singles), would you mind sharing your agency experience with me via PM?
Agencies I am considering currently:
Adoption Avenues
Bethany
Love Beyond Borders
Tree of Life
Thanks!
Be careful! Ethiopia can close their single parent program at any moment. You are taking a huge risk! I know, all international adoption is a risk and nothing is guaranteed. Just giving you a fair warning. Have you looked into D R Congo?
Advertisements
Hi Safarique,
I, too, am a single woman looking to adopt, possibly from Ethiopia, as they are one of the countries that accept single women (for now...). I'm wondering how far you've gotten in the process and what it's been like for you?
Any experiences/support you can share would be very welcome!
I am very happy to report that I have had tremenous success!
I signed with my agency Oct 2011 and leave in six weeks to go to Ethiopia for court :) I am beyond excited!
I have been tremendously happy with them and they are very supportive of my single status. There have been no changes regarding single adoption in Ethiopia yet, and my agency's connections in-country say there is nothing in the works to change this anytime soon.
CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so excited for you! It seems to have happened very quickly for you. And thank you for the agency recommendation. I will definitely look into them - it's nice to know you have their support. Please - keep in touch - I would love to hear how things continue to progress for you as I embark on the same journey.
Best to you!
I am also looking to adopt from Ethiopia as a single woman. I was looking into Wasatch and A Love Beyond Borders. I have not chosen yet, so if anyone has any feedback on agencies, please include me in the information. One thing I have learned already is that every agency says something different, so I would not rely on what any one agency says!
Advertisements
I've been home a month now with my babies. The process was incredibly smooth, as far as international adoptions go. There were no surprises, which seems to be a problem with many agencies. The staff over there was wonderful, they worked hard to process my case quickly since I stayed in Ethiopia between court and embassy. The ethiopian lawyers and judge had ABSOLUTELY NO RESERVATIONS about me being single -- that was interesting considering all the agencies that have shut down due to the "rumors" that ET will no longer let singles adopt...
Feel free to PM me for more info! Good luck on the search -- I know it can be overwhelming!
Oh -- I just want to add, since there are people who will always say that that quick timeline means unethical practices, that I and many others conducted independent investigations into my babies' backgrounds (not because I suspected something awry with the agency, but to help pass embassy quickly), and there is no question that they are legitimate orphans and that there were no unethical moves on the part of the agency, ET gov, or ethiopian orphanage.
Their quick timeline is a product of fewer families and multiple orphanages that they work with :)
Hello Safarique - congratulations on your adoption and thank you so much for the info. I am leaning towards Adoption Avenues but want to do a bit more research. How old are your children? I'm amazed at how quickly your adoption went through! If you have any more tips, PM me! Best Regards!
Please remember that per our forum rules, all agency feedback must be given via private message. I have edited several posts due to agency discussion.
Thanks!
Advertisements
safarique
I've been home a month now with my babies. The process was incredibly smooth, as far as international adoptions go. There were no surprises, which seems to be a problem with many agencies. The staff over there was wonderful, they worked hard to process my case quickly since I stayed in Ethiopia between court and embassy. The ethiopian lawyers and judge had ABSOLUTELY NO RESERVATIONS about me being single -- that was interesting considering all the agencies that have shut down due to the "rumors" that ET will no longer let singles adopt...
Feel free to PM me for more info! Good luck on the search -- I know it can be overwhelming!
Please PM me what agency you used. I also am a single and wishing to adopt. I'd really appreciate your reply! :)
Could you also PM me with the agency you used I have been researching but would like to hear from someone who has been through it. Could you also inform me of the cost... I am saving for this and have found a range of costs. Thank you so much and congratulations!!
Congrats!! so great. Which agency did you go with, please. Am filling out paperwork for adoption avenues right now. thanks!