Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I would let her go to the foster parents. She is not bonded to the infant sibling that you have, nor is she likely bonded to the other siblings who are spread out over several states. She may know you and care for you, but that surely is not the same bond she feels for the family that has been raising her for 2 years. I know it will be hard, but I think it would be in the best interest of the child to stay with the family she knows.
I don't know what your chances of winning would be if you were to decide to fight for custody. It would depend on the laws in Florida. I know in my own home state, the foster parents would have a very, very good chance of winning because here foster parents are generally considered to be equal to bio-relatives after having a child for only 6 months.
As for the grandmother's funeral, I too would be hesitant to send a child so young to a funeral, especially of a relative who she was not close to (I'm assuming they were not close since the child has been in foster care for 2 years with only limited contact with birth family).
I know this is a tough decision for you. I can't imagine how I would feel if one of my beloved neices were being adopted out of the family. Good luck in whatever you decide.