Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm late to joining this thread but I could have wrote your post. I didn't even know I was adopted for sure because of my mother lying to me but my teenage years were horrible. I was a good kid growing up and never felt she recognized it even though people would tell me, your mom is so proud of you, she never actually told me. Not when I earned awards in school, not when I graduated college, not when I got married, nor when I had children. It even extended to my children, she would always compare my son to other people's babies. Due to a lot of complicated things that I won't get in to, we stopped having contact almost 4 years ago and it has been a blessing. I do not feel like my adoptive mother ever bonded with me, I do not feel like she geniunely love(d) me, and I do not miss the drama or the put downs. She believes I am a horrible person and would often make me feel bad and have me in tears. Well everyone else in the world that actually knows me, thinks I am okay, most people think I am a good person, so I can't be that bad. Sorry for the vent but you are not alone. Do what you need to do to be happy and healthy and if she can't conform to what that is than you need to create boundaries that allow you to feel better about yourself. For my mother and me the terms were, be honest about the past, allow me to discuss my birth mother and stop critisizing my parenting, husband and religion. The main one was the honesty, after 28 years of being lied to about being adopted I believe that is something I deserve, but it was a deal breaker for her. Sometimes I miss having a mom, but the truth is I had that void when she was in my life, I miss that I never had a sincere and loving mother, not her.