Advertisements
Advertisements
I was thinking of fostering infants that were born with drugs in their system. Besides all the appts, I was wondering how hard it will be? All the appts won't bother me in the least. My oldest daughter born to me has CP, so i am used to going to a ton of dr appointments. I was want to know how hard it will be to deal with a child that is going thru withdrawal and son on. I was hopeing for some insight from FP that have been there, done that...Thanks
Withdraws can be horrible,but now days they might get meds to help them.I know in the 80's,when I was a foster kid,withdraws were horrible to see.Even that I would take drug babies in.Some like to be carried alot in a tight type blanket.I hope more people can give idea's.
Advertisements
I have found that it varies by situation. There is a definite difference between being born exposed and addicted.
I take Special Needs situatons quite a bit whether that is drug or other medical issue. I have found that if you focus first that they are a baby/child with normal baby/child needs and get their food, sleep, etc on a good schedule then it is easier to address special issues as needed .... probably exactly what you do with your child with CP.
I agree with the post above...I think there is a big difference between exposure and addiction in babies. I've only had one tox pos baby, and she was absolutely fine for the weeks we had her. Couldn't tell the difference between her and a healthy baby.
Best of luck to you though!!! We just got done with a pretty rough placement and now will only be taking infants from now on.
I think taking in babies born exposed or addicted is a good fit for someone with another Special Needs child. You might also want to consider taking in medically fragile kids under 1 in general. Some drug babies (and I am using the phrase for convenience of typing only, its pretty horrible to call them that outloud) are going to be extra easy personalities and some are going to be so difficult you can't imagine it (in terms of complete inability to sooth). I think that you need to be prepared that you in addition to appointments, you will be doing a lot of advocating. With your bio DD, you simply figured out what she needed next and made the appointment. You will likely spend a lot of your time convincing social workers to even investigate delays, approve medical procedures, allow you to give certain medications etc. . .
dalynn1997
I have found that it varies by situation. There is a definite difference between being born exposed and addicted.
I take Special Needs situatons quite a bit whether that is drug or other medical issue. I have found that if you focus first that they are a baby/child with normal baby/child needs and get their food, sleep, etc on a good schedule then it is easier to address special issues as needed .... probably exactly what you do with your child with CP.
This is great advice.
I DD was born dependent on methadone, heroin, and cocaine. Exposures were the same, and a few extra goodies.
We brought her home at 17 days old...the day she was being released from the hospital. For 16 days she was on a morphine drip for detox.
I knew from the moment I picked her up in the hospital that her needs were not as high as I thought they'd be. Don;t get me wrong, she was extremely easy to agitate, but was also super easy to soothe. It helped that i came here before we took placement and asked the question you just did. :)
That said, get the book Happiest baby on the Block. It is the best advice for babies, in general, and really helped during those times (late afternoon early evening) when Cam was really hard to calm.
She also REALLY enjoyed being swaddled and LOVED being in the Ergo carrier (expensive carrier, but only one my back would tolerate).
Things she hated that other babies born affected love? Anything bouncy, anything that vibrated, and swings. :rolleyes:
We are in the midst of getting the home study done (PRIDE training done) and are also hoping to take babies 0-2 who are drug affected/dependent. And I know that there is no way the next baby will be anything like our girl. just like no two human adults are the same. But I will be re-reading Happiest Baby, stocking up on swaddlers, and making sure I have the newborn insert for my Ergo ready to go. :)
Advertisements