Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I brought my first AS home when he was 9. A year later I brought home my other three adopted children, ages at that time 10, 5, and 14. The 5 & 14 yr olds are girls who had been together in their prior foster placement, they started calling me and husband mom and dad within a couple of months. A couple of months later the older boy followed suit, then after several more months, the boy I'd had a year before everyone else. They are all bio sibs of same mother, different fathers. I think the oldest just really wanted a mom and stability, and to say "mom" and "dad" like all the other kids at school. The youngest likes to copy whatever her big sister does. Those two broke the ice. The older boy was ready for a mom's love. The youngest boy might never have called me mom routinely if we hadn't adopted his older sibs who called me mom, tho he had been referring to me as mom to others not long after coming home. I really wanted him to call me mom far earlier, but just didn't push it and told him he could call me mom, mama, mama xxxxx or xxxxx. I think he may have found it as a sign of being unloyal to his siblings if he called me mom and we didn't have them. But since they did, he could follow suit. He is a follower, not a leader. Maybe one day, he'll be ready to forge his own path.