Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
One of the most recommended I seem to find on the web is Family Finder Testing with the company, Family Tree DNA. They register your DNA and let you know when you have matches. They can even narrow down relationships to as close as half siblings, first cousins, etc. Genealogists are the primary users so you are a lot more likely to get matches because they are not limited to adoptees. DNA testing has become EXTREMELY popular in the genealogy world. I have called their customer service before and they can answer all your questions about privacy. This has been a very popular DNA company with this particular service. To get details and verify it suits your needs, call their customer support.
There are quite a few options out there for DNA testing that are not really registry related. What you are looking for and want to accomplish depends on what you choose.
I am going to post some examples-
1. You are a male (adoptee or birth parent) and have found the male you are trying to find (adoptee or birth parent). You can show you are father and son by doing a Y-DNA Test. This kind of test shows DNA that is passed through males in a family from father to son and father to son and father to son, etc. Only males can do this test.
You can also do a paternity test which is sometimes more expensive.
2. You are a male or female (adoptee) and have found your birth mother. You can show you are child and mother by doing a mtDNA test. This is DNA passed down from the mother.
You can also do a maternity test which is sometimes more expensive.