Advertisements
Advertisements
DH and I have been told that there is generally a 6-month period between placement of a child from foster care into our home (as a PRE-adoptive placement) and legal finalization. We are considering an older girl, or sib group, and under most state regs the ages and/or sibling group tentatively qualify for the adoption subsidy. However, I read that the subsidy begins upon FINALIZATION in many states (do some begin upon placement??). So in the 6-month interim is it considered a Foster care stipend (is that the correct term?) or is there no subsidy/payment at all from placement to finalization?
Advertisements
There should be some sort of stipend in the interim. I am not sure if it is the same amount as Foster Care but you should receive something. Check with your CW to verify.
The child will still be a foster child when in your home... so you'll have the foster care stipend. Certainly don't count on the 6-months to be 6 months, it could be far longer, and unless you are inquiring only on children whose parental rights have been terminated (TPR'd for "termination of parental rights), then another family member could still be found to adopt. No matter what you were told....
@alys1, thank you! You confirmed what I pretty much believed all along. I always try to be a "realist" and expect that at any time things can change (whatever THINGS that may be :confused: ). However, more than likely we will only be inquiring on legally free children when the TPR has already been done. We are trying to avoid taking a legal risk placement if at all possible, just to lessen (though not eliminate totally..) the chance of a change in plans.
It may depend on your state. I adopted from Kansas. I got my stipend starting the date my child moved in. I was fully responsible for her financial care except for the stipend on the day she moved it. Sorry to confuse it more.
Advertisements
You should typically receive the basic foster care subsidy until you sign the petition to adopt paperwork, then you will get the adoption subsidy amount instead.
Woodland7
DH and I have been told that there is generally a 6-month period between placement of a child from foster care into our home (as a PRE-adoptive placement) and legal finalization. We are considering an older girl, or sib group, and under most state regs the ages and/or sibling group tentatively qualify for the adoption subsidy. However, I read that the subsidy begins upon FINALIZATION in many states (do some begin upon placement??). So in the 6-month interim is it considered a Foster care stipend (is that the correct term?) or is there no subsidy/payment at all from placement to finalization?
You should be careful in thinking you'll adopt in 6-months. Every case is different. Mine took 2.5 years. Besides, when adopting older children it could take a lot longer to bond with the child and for you to fully understand the child (figuratively). There were many nights of :grr: for me.
No financial help in the 6 month wait for adoption finalization if we are not foster parents and only certified to adopt?
When and if the subsidies get approved, will it be pro-rated from placement date or only from finalization date?
Ours came out of Texas. They call it an adoption subsidy. It starts the first month after the kids move in and ends on their 18th birthday, unless the placement disrupts.
Advertisements
in my state if you take a child who is foster to adopt the subsidy begins the day the child moves to your home. It is paid once a month so around the middle of the month the subsidy for the previous month is paid. It is a per diem so however many days the child was in your home would be multiplied by the agreed rate. The other months would be paid for the full month of course based on the number of days in the month. It does take a little time to get things in place as far as the subsidy goes so you might be paid retroactively.
my first son was foster to adopt, they say its a negotiation but they basically call you and tell you how much you will be receiving, there was no negotiation at all. 400.00 per month. the second child was matched adoption and the subsidy "negotiation" was them calling and telling me i was eligible for 545.00 per month ,once again no negotiations. i was not in it for the money anyway and all of the funds go to a savings account for my kids.