Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Here is my story.
We adopted a sibling group four years ago. They are now 17 and 18 years old.
Our ds is the older of the two. He had no diagnosis when he came to us at almost 14 years old nor did he have an IEP. I knew something was going on after a few months of school and did some research and it turned out he was diagnosed with FASD. He was tested and his IQ turned out to be a 71. Finally got him an IEP and into appropriate classes.
Fast forward to today. He is now a junior in high school. Through a lot of hard work (he is completely unmotivated :rolleyes: ) he now attends a vocational school for mechanics for half the day and then our local high school for the other half for his courses. He has a 3.0 GPA, has held down a part time job for the last six months in a grocery store, plays sports and is looking to trying to get into the Army upon graduation in 2013. Hopefully, he will be able to do well enough on his ASVAB testing to get in. He would like to work with diesel engines. He will be one month shy of his 20th birthday by the time he graduates high school and I think the structure of the armed forces is exactly what he needs and I really hope he does well with it. He was retested again this year and his IQ was said to be at 77. I don't put much stock in IQs, you know your son best and can see his potential.
My dd who is a year younger was just tested this year because I felt she had a learning disability. Long story, had to fight for that, but I do believe she is dyslexic (her results showed she has a significant reading disability). However, I do see her going to college and hopefully doing well.
It's a lot of hard work with kids like this and some days you wonder if all you do is making a difference. I've learned to lower my expectations a lot and work with their strengths and try to guide them towards them.