Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but here it goes. We have a adult son age 25 who is very much like your son. He faced many challenges growing up. But I am happy to say he is doing great! He lives independantly in his own apartment and other than us managing his money he does very well on his own. He does recieve SSI disablity because of his mental limitations. His independance was very gradual. First he lived in a small apartment in our back yard. Then he moved to a apartment about 1/4 of a mile away. Then we heard about a apartment for older persons and people with similar situations to our son. He was approved and pays VERY little rent. It is perfect for him. He loves the people where he lives and he is the youngest one there. I was always worried about someone taking advantage of him as he is very gulliable but he has done fine. He just learned to text and loves that! We were told he would NEVER learn to read, but he did. We were told he would NEVER live on his own but he does. He will never drive a car or manage his own money but he does very good even with all his diabilites. I hope this gives you some hope. Just keep working with your son and do not give up. He will accomplish alot more than anyone thinks!