Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I have just recently started discussing adoption. We still aren't quite ready to get the ball rolling because we are overseas. Has anyone started the process overseas? I know there is extra paperwork and some things like that, but I was just wondering if maybe it would be better to wait until we were stateside again. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)
What type of adoption would you like to pursue? Domestic or International? I am overseas and my husband and I got started getting ready for domestic adoption. We are homestudy ready and we have a potential match. Basically, if you are trying to pursue domestic, I have not found anything different in doing it here vs. stateside. Except some agencies, facilitators, referral services won't work with you. However, I have only done domestic adoption so I have no info on international. PM me if you have questions! Good luck!
PS: there will be a difference for entrance into whatever country you are stationed in....at least here there is. Overseas screening for the child, etc....maybe a passport depending on your location, however, certain places will waive the passport(ie..newborn). But that is my experience where we are stationed, so I would ask your legal office.
Advertisements
We adopted our first two infants while living in Japan. I see you're stationed in Europe? You could still adopt from Korea and other places while there. More paperwork, but it's do-able....at least it used to be.
Please feel free to pm me if you'd like. It's been many years ago, but I think the process would be similar in many ways. Also depends on what kind of adoption budget you have too.
Good luck!
Sincerely,
Linny
My husband and I are a dual-military couple stationed in Seoul, South Korea. We are in the process of doing an adoption from the U.S. foster care system and have been able to do everything from here (Korea). Our adoption agency, Adopt Abroad, is based in Pennsylvania and is specializes in military family adoptions. They have an American-licensed organization (Adaptable Human Resources) in Seoul who does homestudies of American families for U.S. domestic adoptions. Our homestudy was conducted here in Seoul and was approved last month. We are now in the matching phase and are doing this from Seoul as well. We will have to travel back to the U.S. to meet our matched child - there will be lots of travel involved (sort of like an international adoption) - but we are okay with that.
If you have any questions regarding how we've done things feel free to contact me.
Laura
.... and if we're not military but will be living abroad for several years due to civilian job assignment? Would the agencies you all mentioned work with civilian US PAs living abroad but interested in domestic (US) adoption? Could we be matched if we're not ready to move back stateside?
What about US citizens temporarily living abroad wanting to adopt from country where they are living? Would this be just like an international adoption? I know USCIS would need to be involved to allow the child into the US when we return, but what about homestudy and post placement?
Hello everyone! :) My husband and I have been getting ready to start the adoption process. We are wanting to adopt a new born domestically. I am having problems finding an organization that is willing to work with us while we are overseas. Any and all advice on this is greatly appreciated. We were in hopes of adopting from Michigan or Florida.
Advertisements
Kay - so you're looking to adopt as US citizens, from the US, while living abroad? I know I've seen that scenario in an agency website or brochure.
A google search gave me this:
childwelfare site.
This may also be helpful:
[url=http://adoption.state.gov/adoption_process/who_can_adopt/livingabroad.php]U.S. Citizens Adopting Abroad | Intercountry Adoption[/url]
"The United States Government considers U.S. government employees, including U.S. military personnel, on assignment abroad to be "habitually resident" in the United States for the purpose of completing an intercountry adoption in accordance with U.S. law and regulation.
If a U.S. military service member or civilian employee adopts an American child in the United States while on assignment overseas, the adoption will be considered by the United States Government to be a domestic adoption, not an intercountry adoption."
Last update on November 10, 10:42 am by Sachin Gupta.
We signed up with American Adoptions (though our match did not happen with them) and I remember seeing some waiting couples that lived overseas. Most of them were military couples but I also remember seeing some Canadians (not sure how that would work). The travel expenses would be astronomical though!
I've posted this before but there's a Yahoo group called Adoption for Americans Abroad or some combination of that!