Advertisements
Advertisements
We brought our dd home from Russia when she was 14 months old. WE had her evaluated immediately, and she qualified for services from speech and early childhood intervention (a generalist approach) These services were great and she thrived. So much so that she "tested" out after one year. She has been developing somewhat normally since then. Expect about a two years ago she went through a period of growth where she stuttered for approximately 6 months. Upon consultation from a speech therapist, she felt that this was do to her tremendous growth and some atypical emotional issues (We moved across country) Within a few months she stopped stuttering and has been "fine" ever since. She went to Kidnergarten last year and did great. She has started first grade and we just had our parent teacher conferences....... ALthough the teacher said that dd was doing great academincally and socially there were a few things she was concerned about. First that she is mirror writing; and she also exhibits anxiety in new situations, and at certain times of the day. WHen having anxiety she often plays with her hair excessively, or with items in her desk. Additionally, she has also noticed that Hanna is hoarding things, pencils, scissors, markers and crayons seem to be her favs. She often tells the teacher she doesnt have them just to get another one, when after school the teacher will check her desk and find multiple pairs/ pencils. In fact on conference night, I checked her desk only to find 10 pair of scissors, over 50 markers and an unknown number of pencils and crayons. SHe has never exhibited these behaviors before, and has been with us now for 6 years. I guess I am wondering has anyone else seen things like this, and if so what have you done? I would like to help dd before academics or social situations become a problem. She loves school, friends and the world around her, but want her to learn to cope with it as well. SUggestions are definately welcome!!!!!!
I'd seek help from a *good* counselor. Be prepared to run if you don't feel good about anything or everything.
Get lots of referrals from friends, agencies, etc. Probably best to find one familiar with adoption. Seems to me that this could be part of so many different things, impossible to guess which.
Advertisements
Honestly, we went through something similar. Our child started exhibiting facial tics during the second grade. We took our child to a neuro doc who considered tourettes.....but testing showed 'negative'. Our child was very social; well liked, did well academically. BUT...we noticed whenever there was a vacation (Christmas/Easter, etc)....those facial tics almost subsided completely!
This was one reason we chose to home school our child. It worked wonders. School classrooms were just too 'much'.....and while the child could cope,,,,,the nerves were at an all time high.
I realize not everyone can homeschool.......but before the thinking of 'this must be because of adoption' (IF you're thinking that at all??).....I'd try talking to her and just asking what might be going on.
When I was young, our second grade teacher was awful. Looking back, she was abusive, horrid and had no business being a teacher at all! Yet, back then, even the limits that were allowed were surpassed by her! !!! (yes, she was THAT awful!)
I did well in school....but I hated it. I was sick while there most days. Another kid vomited every day; another had a bloody nose every day; still, another was a nervous wreck every day.....that speaks to the fact it was the classroom environment that caused so much turmoil! (And there's a long line of adults who used to be her students who feel the same way as me!)
Talk to your dd.....find out if something is going on that you 're missing. My guess is, there's something going on......and it has little to do with 'being adopted'.
Sincerely,
Linny