Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Duster5555, are you looking to adopt in country or internationally?
We're down to last visit and D.H.'s physical to do...trying to schedule visit end of next month.
Anyone on this board do the foster care to adopt?
We are looking to adopt in the country. We are looking for local places in virginia for the home study rights now. Who have you guys used in virginia?
We're going through foster care, primarily because we'd like an older child instead of an infant, but it doesn't hurt that it is much cheaper. The classes were rather eye opening.
We are using Commonwealth Catholic Charities & from what I understood was that they will do your home study even if you don't want to use their adoption services. We live in a rural area and had a hard time finding someone who would come do our home study. BTW, we are not Catholic and that didn't seem to be an issue.
Advertisements
I'm in rural Virginia here and waiting forever (looking to adopt under age 12 from foster care)
Hello, we're in VA too. Licensed Foster Parents. Still waiting for the right call :coffee: . Hello to all of you :)
Advertisements
We're in the Tidewater area - completed Homestudy, Feb 2013 - shocked at how little activity there is.
We're looking to do older child adoption - a girl 8 and younger. As future Adoptive parents, we get the feel that we're a distant last place in the big picture.
Why doesn't Virginia let families with approved background checks and Homestudies see ALL children that are TPR?? We are getting the feeling that as long as the children are in Foster care, then there is no real pressure to find them permanent homes.
Virginia needs a centralized database of Foster Children that is secured only for Adoption Workers and approved families, and it should be mandated that Foster workers list all the children in it!
We always hear about all the children that need a home, yet here we wait, waiting for a call about a match.
Hello All-
I also posted under the general forum "Virginia Couple Looking for Advice" so I won't got into too much detail. However my wife and are in the Richmond area and are beginning to meet with agencies about a domestic infant adoption. Any thoughts/recommendations/warnings would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Advertisements
Mandsvirginia, Don't have any recommendations, except be prepared for a long wait for domestic infants. I can't recommend private agencies, but can tell you that Foster care doesn't get many infants, and those they do are either medically challenged or come in family groups. That probably doesn't help you much, but thought I'd throw it out there.
I am in Richmond area as well and we recently finalized our adoption. There is an adoption support group through RESOLVE in the area - that is where I got a lot of information and support. I can PM you more information if you are interested.