Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all, I am a single mom with 3 kids. My two oldest are on the ASD spectrum and both have PTSD. I had to hospitalize my 9 year old last Friday. A little background on me I have worked in social services for 25 + years in both mental health and CPS positions. I have master֒s degrees in counseling and forensic psychology. I am not saying this all to toot my own horn but to put this all in perspective. As a parent, the hospitalization of a child can be the most devastating thing that you may need to do for your child. The process can be complicated, confusing, and frustrating. These are all feelings that I felt as the parent who had to hospitalize their child. It was scary, confusing and I felt like a failure.
On day two of the hospitalization process and started to think about how things were proceeding and progressing my professionalӔ hat came on and I began to get angry. As a professionalӔ, I was appalled at how me the parentӔ was treated. The lack of communication, information, and just general attention was horrible. I didnt even know until day 3 that I had ғadmitted my child ԓvoluntarily. I was under the impression that the doctor placed him in a mental health hold. None of this was explained to me.
When I return to work I will be returning as an in home support or in home therapist for the types of families I worked with as a CPS worker and other adoptive homes. I want to develop a pamphlet of sorts so that families can know what to expect and what questions to ask. Also, to maybe know when they should get information that they arenԒt getting and should be getting. I have never felt so alone in going thru this process. There was no psychiatrist or therapist there to help me etc.
I would really appreciate it if any of you who have been in this same situation can give me some information and ideas of things that you wished you would have known at the time or felt that you should have known but no one included you. My son has been in the hospital for 3 days now and the only doctors that I talked to were in the ER. But yet, I am the one who knows my child the best.
Thanks ahead of time for your help