Advertisements
Advertisements
I am reading some of these as I sort through hundreds of children who need a home, similar to some, with one child in mind. I have only been in contact with my county's department and where the child is possessed by the state and it is already very heartbreaking. When I tell my story and my "wants", I feel I am being completely washed over and extremley used. I am literally being differed to using an adoption agency in every other answer to a question which really never gets answered. I see that some repliers have stated they can refer adoption agencies. I would love to use a private adoption agency but fear I will not be able to afford that. Please if anyone can help or even just relate to what I am feeling, it would mean the world to see your response. The child I would love to have in our home is legally free to adopt which has me wondering, how can they deny us from him if we pass the courses and the home study requirements?
Last update on March 5, 6:58 pm by Danielle Jenkins.
Advertisements
What was the agency you used?
I'm also in Maryland. When I first decided to adopt I thought I'd go the foster to adopt route. I took the training courses and was ready to go.
My case worker was very honest with me. She let me know that if my goal was to adopt that I needed to go the private route. The private route is taking much longer than I would like but it's the only option available to me. It can be done even if you aren't rich (I'm definitely not). I can PM you the agency I'm working with if you'd like.
I would love to foster at some point but right now I really want to be a forever mom.
1 Liked
 likes this.
My husband and I would love to know the agency that was used. We have been fostering in Maryland since 2017 and in the process of an ICPC for a youth from PA that we plan to adopt. That's only because we had to take matters into our own hands and look for available children that were legally free to adopt. We are now told that we can't inquiry about other children until the PA youth is fully adopted before we can pursue any additional children outside of MD.
Lorraine, I'd love the name of the agency you used. Was this an adoption through the state or a private domestic adoption?
My case worker was very honest with me. She let me know that if my goal was to adopt that I needed to go the private route. The private route is taking much longer than I would like but it's the only option available to me. It can be done even if you aren't rich (I'm definitely not). I can PM you the agency I'm working with if you'd like.
I would be interested as well. My husband and I are currently attending the training via our local DSS office, but after last night's session, I'm worried that its going to take a while...we were informed last night that our county only does open-adoptions as well. My husband and I are upset about this as he use to be a foster care worker and after his experiences he has no interest in dealing with the birth parents.
I've been in contact with a few places, but either they stopped doing domestic adoptions or they only adopt out 10 and older children from foster care. We're looking from 0-5 or 6.