Advertisements
Advertisements
I am curious to see how many their are out there! :D
....personally i hate being an only child to be completely honest! Technically i am not....i have Bsiblings but i have never met them(and sadly may never meet!) so....being by myself is all i've ever known!
Finding out i had siblings was a happy moment. Even though the reality set in that i may never get to meet them, i was still excited. Not having siblings all my life...well....it sucked. Amom always wanted to adopt but my adad just never wanted to...just because....he's....weird like that! LOL! Personally i felt it was a selfish decision on HIS part but.....i'm grown now so whatever! My amom always tried to tell me "Well your cousins are your brothers and sisters". Errrrr.....no sorry! I'm not very close with them either so....yea....no not a good excuse! (I don't mean to offend by that "selfish" comment....i am just speaking of MY experience....no harm meant to others with only children. ;) )
Anywho enough of my babbling....where are my adopted only children?!???!?!? :cool: What was your experience growing up? Did you like it or not?
Advertisements
Bumping, hoping more people weigh in. My DD is in this situation. I'd love to hear more grown voices in this area
My DS is also an only child, which makes me kind of sad. Although, I did choose a couple that didn't have children instead of a couple who already had children. At the time, I thought why not give a younger couple without children a chance? He does have 2 half siblings on his bfather's side and I think they are interested in reunion. I hope that can happen someday.
Anyhow, I'd also like to hear about other adoptees who are an only chlld. Maybe get a peek into my DS's world.
DD = Dear/Darling Daughter
DS = Dear/Darling Son
Anyway, I'm also an adopted only child. My parents already went through a failed adoption before me and I don't think they had to emotional strength of the financial strength to go through another adoption after they got me.
Sometimes I'm fine with being an only child, but most of the time I'm not. As my parents get older (they are in their 50s), I get more and more nervous about when they will need someone to care for them. I'll have no help or emotional support from siblings. I also don't have a true sibling like connection with anyone because no one lives with me or sees me on the same regular basis as a sibling would. I also don't have a shared parental history with anyone.
I have a few "not siblings" (people that are not my siblings, but feel like they are to an extent). That's my neighbor who has been my next door neighbor and best friend for almost 16 years, one cousin who is a year older than me and is my polar opposite but is somehow like my sister (I'm even going to be called "Aunt" when she has her baby), and my other cousin who is a couple of years older than me and who my parents help out with so much.
As much as I love my "not siblings" and can depend on them in a lot of ways like a sibling, it isn't quite the same thing.
That's my opinion on the matter.
Advertisements
hpfreak080
DD = Dear/Darling Daughter
DS = Dear/Darling Son
Anyway, I'm also an adopted only child. My parents already went through a failed adoption before me and I don't think they had to emotional strength of the financial strength to go through another adoption after they got me.
Sometimes I'm fine with being an only child, but most of the time I'm not. As my parents get older (they are in their 50s), I get more and more nervous about when they will need someone to care for them. I'll have no help or emotional support from siblings. I also don't have a true sibling like connection with anyone because no one lives with me or sees me on the same regular basis as a sibling would. I also don't have a shared parental history with anyone.
I have a few "not siblings" (people that are not my siblings, but feel like they are to an extent). That's my neighbor who has been my next door neighbor and best friend for almost 16 years, one cousin who is a year older than me and is my polar opposite but is somehow like my sister (I'm even going to be called "Aunt" when she has her baby), and my other cousin who is a couple of years older than me and who my parents help out with so much.
As much as I love my "not siblings" and can depend on them in a lot of ways like a sibling, it isn't quite the same thing.
That's my opinion on the matter.
OHHHHHH! Yea i thought it was Darling something! Thanks for the clarification!
And your situation is the same as mine! Especially your fears RE: Your parents getting older! That's my fear as well! Not having anyone to help me with them and having to do it all by myself! :hissy:
Hey, it's sad to hear that you may never meet your bsiblings. I just wanted to reply quickly as this is now 07:30 in the UK!
I am also adopted and I am also an only child, my bfamily died in a road traffic collision, including my brother, it's so hard to know that he used to be there but now he's just gone, one one to play with or argue with about xbox. I'm coming up to our 19th birthday on the 28th December I'm excited but disappointed at yet another birthday spent with my adoptive parents. I like them and all but I miss my family Christmas.
Does anyone know of a forum like this for teenagers in the UK who are still in the whole realms of fostering and adoption it'd be a great help.
God bless.
I too am adopted and an only child.
I wanna say I liked it because I was a very privileged and slightly spoiled child. Plus I was very close with my aDad and so I got all the attention I wanted from him.
But I've always wished for siblings. I still dream about having siblings sometimes. When I was very little, my cousins and I were raised almost like siblings but we moved away from all extended family when I was 5, so I don't see them a lot. I also have always struggled with making friends so I'm on my own a lot.
One of the other posters mentioned worrying about their parents getting old or sick and needing care, I worry about that too. My parents are well into their 50s and I worry about what's going to happen sooner or later.
But anyway, that was a longer response than I thought it would be.
Advertisements
Yea my parents also try to play the "your cousins are your siblings" card on me....but.....none of my cousins or i are close so....yea.
I appreciate getting to read the posts. We're hoping to take placement of our first child in a few short weeks, and I'm already thinking about future adoptions. I know I want our baby to have siblings, but I do worry about the emotional and financial strains that accompany adoption. Reading about your longings and desires has certainly pushed me to try for another adoption after this one. Maybe in a few years!
Hello Everyone. I was adopted and raised as an only child. My adopted parents were much older. They were the Aunt & Uncle of my birth mom. So I was lucky to still know my biological family. I have known about my birth mom for as long as I can remember. Personally I wouldn't know how to feel if they had not told me. I think that knowing my whole life made it easy because it was just who I was. Had I been told when I was older, I think I might have felt lead on. Knowing that she was my birth mom didn't bother me at all. We didn't live in the same state so that helped things as well but we did see each other semi often. She has kids now, I have always loved them and been close to them. She was very young when she became pregnant with me (12 yrs old). The man who was my birth father has never acknowledged me. That has much to do with him being 18 and enlisted in the military. He ran off after the pregnancy and never served his county and never admitted to (what I call) statutory rape. I have a daughter myself now. She is 16 years old and when she was 12, I thought of my birth mom and how horrible that experience must have been for her. Since then, I have hated that man. Before then, I never thought about him at all. But, I have met his kids. My half siblings. Sadly, I regret that. I wish I had left things the way they were. I was an only child and now I have 6 half siblings. Too weird. I see a lot of comments about people who are scared of their parents passing and no support system. It is very scary but as someone, an only child who has lost both of her parents already, I send you peace and prayers. And however it may not bring comfort but I have seen far too many siblings battle it out after the loss the of parents. It was lonely but without conflicts. I hated being a only child growing up. Mama and I didn't get along well. I lived a very restricted life but now, I am so blessed to have been an only child. My daughter is an only child also and thank goodness she has no regrets about it either.
I see that this is a really old post. However, I need some advice myself. I am an adopted child, who was an only child. I loved everything about it! My parents and I traveled, had a ton of fun and I never thought twice about being adopted ( although I knew and had questions, or about it being just me). I am now 43. My biological aunt and I found each other on Ancestory. My bio father passed a long time ago and no one knows who my bio mom is..?? odd, but …..I am not sure how to approach the "new fam", I am excited to meet them, but a bit hesitant...any advice??? Thanks!
Advertisements
I am adopted and I have no birthfamily and that's hard to not have no birthfamily nobody to relate to I am all alone the non adoptees are mean jerks to me nobody realizes how hard it is to be adopted , I am adopted and I cant have birthfamily or housing or a birthcerificate and I am 50 years old I have not done well in life because I could not have birthfamily or housing
Jennifer maybe nobody gave birth you that's why you cant find your birth mom why are you so bothered by finding your birthmom you said birthfmaily isn't important