Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Brita
While I agree this is a horrible situation. This birth father has been fighting since this child was four months old. He revoked his consent only two weeks after he gave it. IMO this child should have been with him a long time ago. It's a very sad situation for everyone nonetheless.
Agreed, depending on state laws that if he revoked his consent only two weeks later that most state laws would protect his interest, and the child should have been returned at that time.
I'm really confused however on the ICWA implications. I've read things from 1% to 15%. Being 12.5% Cherokee myself with my kids being the last generation eligible for registration at 6.25% I have lots of questions. I'm not registered because you have to either be registered by your parents as a child or register within so much time of your 18th birthday (which I had already passed by the time I knew the rules, so I'm not eligible). I'm reading a lot of conflicting information concerning birth dad's registration or eligibility for registration. Seems to me like somebody has a good lawyer pulling all the right strings and it is likely that many if not most of us could fufill the same 'blood" requirements with the right lawyer representing us. I'm not anti-tribal rights by any means, but as a blonde hair blue eyed caucasian that only knows traditional European culture, I'd be pretty ticked if as a child I was placed on a reservation based on some minimal blood affilitation that likely my caucausian adoptive parents shared as well.