Advertisements
Advertisements
A dear friend's wife died on New Year Day... The plug was pulled after 11 days with no signs of life (post heart attack).
She was only 50. She left behind a 16 year old DD.
After the initial worry for my friend and logistical details, I was hit with a bit of personal epiphany. I've always had a sense of a personal time line.. 46 is middle age.. Of course, I'll be around for J's graduation in 10 years. Of course I'll be able to help guide her in picking a college. I'll one day meet her significant other..
I can get around to losing weight when things calm down. I can exercise more when she's more independent.
And, yes, I know we need to get around to making that will.
Cheryl's death has left me with a major wake up call. I'm feeling very Carpe Diem right now. i hope it lasts.
Have any of you other "grown ups" gone through gone through a peer loss that shook your ideas on older people adoption? Or your views on life and parenthood in general?
I've had loss before, but this was the first time wince becoming a parent.
So sorry to hear about your friend. I haven't had a loss like you describe to hit me hard, but I did have a bout with cancer last year that really made me think. Yes, anything can happen at any time. I too am in my mid-fourties and I can feel changes in my body that let me know I need to "use it or lose it". Eating healthy and exercising more are on my to do list. They really need to be on my 'right now" list!
Advertisements
Thanks Kelltic! Are you clear of cancer now?
I've definitely changed my eating habits since Cheryl's death
wcurry: I'm so sorry for your loss. I did my will right after the adoption of my 2 youngest ones. but a dear co-worker died a few weeks ago and it hit me. She was in her mid-40's and had a teenage son and 8 yo daughter. My college roommate also died last year.. And she ate healthy, didn't smoke and drank very little. but it is a wake-up call!!