Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Open Records
Dickons, thanks for that info!
I'm definitely for access to OBC and identifying information, however I can see where there would be some push back to getting counseling records or personal medical records. As my Mother's biological child, I don't think I could have access to that info for her, right? If something were to happen to me later in life and I wanted to know my familial history, my Mom could sure lie to me, slam the door in my face, not share. However, I still had a fighting chance! Adoptees that are denied basic information are also denied a chance to their medical and family histories - and the results can be tragic.
With regards to the OBC vs. Ammended BC....I don't know. I do think there's something....wierd? about a BC stating that someone gave birth that didn't. (Please, no flames!!!) I don't think that person is ANY less a Mother or has any less claim to a child. I don't think adoptees should have a different certificate that labels them as adoptees. Pie in the sky? I think we should ALL have Birth Certficiates with accurate birth info (parents, time, date, place of birth). THEN I think we should all have SEPERATE identification cards that are required for things like passports, school enrollment, whatever else. These could include information on legal parents, so would correctly show adoptive parents in that case.
That's just my first stab at two cents :)