Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Open Records
ladyjubilee
I don't know that I am "against" open records, but I think people don't always think of the all the consequences for everyone. A previous poster said that records should be "open" for all parties. Sounds nice and sweet when you're talking domestic infant adoption. Not so nice and sweet when you talk about situations like a previous (pre adoptive) placement I had. In that case, the county was literally having to hide the children as the birth family had made serious and real threats against the children. Would "open" records for "all parties" really have been a good idea in that case?
In another placement, that will soon be TPRd and go to adoption, one of the parents is a gang member. Again, would "open records" for "all parties" be such a great thing?
Even in little things.....LG's name has changed, but a sibling's name only changed slightly and in a way that was, well, to be expected. Even with a few months of the adoption, that child's name is being used by the family---in ways not approved by the new family. While they may well be using LG's old name, they don't have his new name (which was a total change) and can't use it. Incidentally, in LG's case rights were relinquished which would have slipped through any except saying "open unless rights were terminated by courts".
So, I'm not "against" open records in some cases, but I do feel that everyone sees issues from their own circumstances. If you don't have information and want information, you'd probably be happy to have open records for "all parties".....but in some cases open records for "all parties" means a nutcase that has kidnapped and raped children and is suspected of murder (as in the first example) would have all of the child/adopted adult's new information.
Are you referring to open records after an adoption or loss of custody has taken place? If so, then no, I don't think records should be open to birth family members after an adoption has taken place. My aunt can't go pick up a copy of my birth certificate (at least I don't think she can), so after one is no longer the legal parent, I don't think they should be able to go pick up the amended BC of their relinquished child. Is that what you're saying too? Sorry if it's not.
I don't see how allowing an adopted person to go pick up their own original BC is in any way dangerous or different in foster adoption than DIA? Am I not following you correctly or missing something?