Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone do this for an agency? It dawned on me that our adoption agency might need foster parents to provide cradle care. I live in a state that has a 30 day wait, and they wanted us to use it when we were placed with Cam. We opted not to use it.
Just wondering if anyone could give me some of their insight. :)
What is it? The inbetween care as the newborn waits for its placement? I think we have something like that here in MI, but it isn't with the foster care system, its done with private agencies outside of the system (though most of them have foster care services). My sister knows a couple that got a baby that was dropped off at a fire station because they were basically on the top of the list of waiting people for a private adoption - something similar to that probably here in MI...but I don't know for sure.
Advertisements
It's the care of an infant while waiting for TPR, through an adoption agency. Our agency suggested we use cradle care during our 30 day wait, but we didn't want to use it.
It was just a thought as to getting a placement. In the county I live in placements are few and far between, especially infants. So I am thinking about contacting our agency and asking if they need families to cover the cradle care.
The agency I adopted M through (not foster care -- domestic infant adoption) in NY does this, but it's not through the foster care system. The agency recruits families to do this privately. If you happen to be in NY or NJ pm me and I can tell you more. M was in cradle care till he was 10 weeks old, and we're still in touch with his cradle care mom. She's a wonderful woman!
Oh Saya, that is so awesome you are still in touch. Sadly, I am not in NJ or NY.
Our SW told us while we were getting licensed for foster care that we should look to other counties for placements, since our county has so few. So trying to think a little more outside of the box, the thought for cradle care came to me while reading some of our adoption agency's newsletters.
I figure they have to have families who have passed a home study caring for the infants in cradle care. Might as well see if they need another family. :)
We do cradle care for our agency. It has been amazing! Our agency does not do pre birth matching. They have made a few exceptions lately but all of the cradle care babies we have had were totally clear for adoption before they met their Aparents. The longest we had a baby was 12 weeks while his mom got counseling to help with her decision to place or not. The stipend is a serious joke but it is so fun!!!
Advertisements
Thanks Mama, it sounds just like just what I thought....fun. Knowing the babies are going to their forever families, not keeping them for a long time. :D
edited to add: I just sent an email off to our domestic coordinator at the adoption agency we used. We had such a great rapport, I am hoping they would like a new family to help out.
I've always been interested in knowing how cradle care is managed over there.
What is the situation with regards contact during that time by the emoms and paps?
This is how it works where I live and wondered whether it was the same over there as regards visits by the emom (note that "you" referred to is the emom (this is from part of a mandatory sheet given to all mothers considering placement) - I don't think the chosen PAPs (who are chosen by the emom but after the birth) can actually visit, from what I can ascertain, until after TPR is signed (I am unsure exactly what the situation is)):
Voluntary temporary care is a short-term placement for a child with trained, assessed and authorised (foster) carers. You may request this type of placement for your child, while you think about and plan for the future for you and your child. This can give you time to sort out accommodation, financial and other supports and thoroughly investigate all the alternatives to adoption.
While your child is in voluntary temporary care, you remain the legal parent and have parental responsibility for your child. Your child must be returned to your care at your request (unless there are significant child protection concerns). Temporary care is arranged for a short period, so that the separation will have as little effect as possible on your child's relationship with you.
Experienced and authorised (foster) carers provide temporary care in their own home. You can ask your caseworker to arrange contact visits for you. These visits usually take place at the carers' home, adoption service office, or other place you all agree on. Having your child placed safely in a caring family situation gives you time to 'test out' how you feel about being separated from your child.
Though this would be arranged through the government (we don't have private adoption per se), private social service agencies would probably supply many of the carers.
This is from our agency's website on cradle care. It's also aimed at e-parents:
"After your child is born, you may need some additional time to make a permanent plan. Many birth parents choose to use (agency's) interim care program.
Your child will be cared for by a family certified and experienced in caring for newborns. Our families ensure that every baby receives individual attention in a warm and loving environment. During this time, you remain your child's legal parent and may visit the baby.
In addition, your baby will receive regular medical care by (agency's) team of pediatricians."
Cradle care is most often used in situations where the mom isn't sure yet whether she wants to parent or turn to adoption, but can't or doesn't feel comfortable bringing the baby home. It's also used in situations where for some reason -- legal issues, child has special needs, etc. -- it takes longer than usual to identify the right adoptive family. M's cradle care mom has had babies from a day or two up to several months in some cases.
Sometimes I think it would be so much fun to do this, and a great way to give back. Then I realize how glad I am to be over the sleep deprivation stage and realize I could never do this.:o
Advertisements
I did cradle care for 13 yrs before we switched to county foster care. Loved it. Loved the agency. I miss it but I love fostering too. I will go back to it when I am 'done' fostering. I have adoptive families, birth families, and 'babies' finding me on FB now - it's so fun.
My placements ranged from a day to up to 7wks. Most of the time it was for 2-3 wks. Placement with the adoptive family happened at my home. What an awesome thing. I also met lots of awesome birth parents - truly amazing.
Thanks everyone for your replies!
I heard back from my agency worker. She said things are slow at the agency, in terms of placements. She was cc'ing the lady in charge of the interim care, so hopefully we can get added to the list...just in case. :)