Advertisements
Advertisements
I don't post often, but this morning when I got an email from my company's HR department, I was so thrilled and I had to tell someone. DH is at work and isn't answering his texts and my parents and sibilings have no idea how much adoptions cost. So I thought I'd come on here and brag a little bit on my employer.
In a time where most employers are cutting back in terms of wages, benefits and positions, my employer continues to support the needs of his 25 employees. After almost 9 years in business, we have 100% employer health coverage, long term disability, dental, vision, short term disability, Flex plans, life insurance, wellness benefits (including a reimbursement), an employee assstance plan, paid time off, and a bonus program rewarding us for client retention. Needless to say, I am a lucky duck.
But as of this morning, we also now have an adoption reimbursement! I kind of knew this was coming because the HR person was asking all kinds of questions about financing and she finally told me that they were considering adding the benefit which was why she was being so nosy. I expected to see maybe $1,000 or $2,000 since we are so small, and so new, but it turns out to be a whole $5,000!!!! I am beyond floored. I've already danced around the living room with my Yorkie Poo in celebration. :banana:
Here's to all of the employers, large and small, who are making a committment to their employees building their families!
That's awesome! You are very lucky, I don't think it happens very often, but it's nice to hear when companies value their employees.
Advertisements
Isn't it awesome? My DH's employer has the same policy. between the tax credit and the employee benefit, our adoption cost us almost nothing! :D
My husbands work for a communications compnay & they offer up to $10,000 reimbursement for adoption expenses also. We recently were offered a newborn placement by our agency that had a cost of $7200, as tempting as it was to say YES, since it wouldn't have cost us anything in the long run we still said no. But in reality its a great thing employers are offering more & more.
Add me to the list. My employer, a large financial services firm, gives $10,000 toward adoption. I'm blessed, indeed.
DH's company did the same thing, allowing us to get 50% before finalization and 50% after...and it was the EASIEST part of the process. We just had to fill out one form and it was direct deposited within a week.
Advertisements
theLBs
DH's company did the same thing, allowing us to get 50% before finalization and 50% after...and it was the EASIEST part of the process. We just had to fill out one form and it was direct deposited within a week.
Wow, I have to finalize before I can submit for reimbursement.
Adoption benefits seem so logical from my point of view.
DH has a $5,000 benefit. I am a public employee and have none. For DH to claim his we have to have placement custody, so it can be before finalization.
I think if an employeer pays part of a healthcare benefit that pays for birth, they sould also offer something, even if it is small, as an adoption benefit. But, that's me looking at it from the inside.
Keep in mind that with employer reimbursement, you can't claim the same thing on your tax credit. The tax credit has to be for something else, when you turn in your receipts. But WOW....to get half before finalizing would be AWESOME. Just curious, what happens if the adoption does not finalize??
It's great though isn't it? My husband's went up from $3,000 to $5,000 reimbursement last year.
When we adopted our first daughter, my employer gave $5,000 and DHs gave $3,000. It made it so that I was able to stay home with DD an extra 3 months beyond the first paid 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I lost my job, but Im really hoping that the next one I get will also offer reimbursement, considering adopting from China costs a total of around $25,000 or more, depending on flight costs at the time of referral. But I was actually amazed at how many employers do not offer it, even a small amount.
KarenInCa
Keep in mind that with employer reimbursement, you can't claim the same thing on your tax credit. The tax credit has to be for something else, when you turn in your receipts. But WOW....to get half before finalizing would be AWESOME. Just curious, what happens if the adoption does not finalize??
It's great though isn't it? My husband's went up from $3,000 to $5,000 reimbursement last year.
When we adopted our first daughter, my employer gave $5,000 and DHs gave $3,000. It made it so that I was able to stay home with DD an extra 3 months beyond the first paid 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I lost my job, but Im really hoping that the next one I get will also offer reimbursement, considering adopting from China costs a total of around $25,000 or more, depending on flight costs at the time of referral. But I was actually amazed at how many employers do not offer it, even a small amount.
The first half we could choose to use for "pre-adoption expenses." we turned in the receipt for our homestudy and some homestudy related expenses and they paid for that. We were not even matched at the time, so I'm not sure what would've happened if we never matched, never finalized.
Advertisements