Advertisements
Advertisements
I have looked this site over and could not find a post about the i pad/ epads so I thought I would just put this out there.
I heard a news story of how great that i pads were for special needs children. I got on youtube and the internet and researched it out as much as I could. Found out that I REALLY wanted this for my child. She was born with 1/3 of her brain. She has on prostetic eye, and corticle vision in her other eye, she also is CP. She is 2 and we have been unable to get her to use her hands. Everything that I read about these i pad for our children made me decide my child would get one for christmas... I started pricing them and OMGosh. They are very expensive. I done a little more research and came across epad.. MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper. I got my dd a 10 inch epad for under 300 BRAND NEW at sears. Now the best part. After only having this since Christmas my dd used her hands. There are awsome apps that make sounds that were made for special needs children. Today for the first time she was reaching out to the epad. When the animal would make its sound she would smile and do it again....... I would deff. recommend this to anyone. She was even trying to focus on the fireworks as they would go off on her app. And anyone that has a child with corticle vision knows that in itself is awesome.....
That's awesome! We have a kindle fire that my kids like to play with. I too have been amazed at how many great apps for kids there are.
Advertisements
I have debated getting something like this before. Our dd has global delays due to two very rare chromosome disorders. While she babbles, she doesn't consistently talk; and, one ped. ophthamologist has dx'ed her with hypertropia (fourth nerve palsy); while another has said the 'jury is still out on the dx'.
Still, she uses her hands, but can only occasionally tap the table to mean more. Whether her lack of use is due to stubborness or the lack of being able to use her hands/arms well---is unknown. (She has hypotonia too.)
Given your comments about the epad, I'm really going to look into this. Her upcoming speech therapist (a new one because she'll be aging out of EI) has said that an IPAD is alright----but eventually she may need something much more high-tech.
Still, for now, honestly----if it could help her with focusing and paying attention (more than a few seconds with something)......I'd be thrilled to buy it!
Thanks so much for posting. I'm going to start looking into these more seriously. And, 'hermommy'......if you can think of any tips about this, please feel free to pm me to comment!
Many thanks again....
Sincerely,
Linny
My autistic eldest (11, bio severe autism) uses his Ipad constantly - it was a lot of money (we joke that he has the best computer in the house), but compared to waiting six months for Medicaid to approve something, it was a breeze. Love the communication apps - btw, there are a ton of of them, and it sometimes takes a while to find one that works - we originally were using Prologo, which was designed for stroke victims that couldn't speak but had language in their brains, and that one wasn't optimal for my son, who has huge language processing issues. We found several others that have been better - so remember, you may need to try a bunch before finding the perfect one.
I have learned that young children learn through a variety of activities, and music is one of my favorite ways of interacting with my kiddos to teach language, rhythm, and motor skills. CookieCoo Dancing is one of the best kids apps for accomplishing these things, and it’s a lot of fun, too. Educational games for childrenn are really helpful when they involve multiple learning styles, and with that in mind, this is one of the best values in apps for education of small children.
CookieCoo Dancing targets youngsters between three and six years old, and my six year old adores it. The cookie characters are really cute, and they make us both laugh. The songs included in the app are familiar, and the fun voices of the cookie characters make it easy to sing along. I know most of the songs by heart, and I love watching my daughter smile and giggle as she sings along. She dances to the beats, and the app teaches the beats in order to help with motor skill development. She can stomp, clap, jump, or hop to the beat, and I get a bit of exercise as I participate with her. CookieCoo is great for promoting memorization, too. I hear her practicing the songs on her own when we aren’t even using the app.
[url=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cookiecoo-dancingstar-hd/id495611023?mt=8”]CookieCoo DancingStar HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store[/url] is one of the best values in apps for education, inexpensive and fun. You will have fun learning familiar songs together with your kids, and you will build some great memories in the process.
Advertisements